Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

2005 Acura RL Introduction

Old 09-07-2004, 02:55 PM
mayonaise

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the RL isn't going to be the "be all and end all of luxo cars", but how can you know how luxurious and nice it is until you actually drive one around for a while and get used to the ammenties?

the same car with more power and AWD....... i guess AWD means nothing to you, then? the AWD system is supposed to be revolutionary. indeed, nothing like it has been put into a production car before. don't discredit it until we've seen some reviews, road tests, comparisons to other cars, etc.

styling is subjective, and if you don't like the car then whatever. but you're jumping to conclusions way too quickly. i hardly see how this post constitues news and/or rumors. if you wanted to post pics of the production model RL, you should have found some pics and posted them. instead you included a link to www.acura.com. real helpful
Old 09-07-2004, 05:11 PM
Dorikin
530i

Coudlnt hyperlink to any pics, sorry dude.

Benjamin-Good luck. The obsession will never die.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:25 PM
mayonaise

Originally Posted by Dorikin
Coudlnt hyperlink to any pics, sorry dude.
yes you could have, sorry dude.

http://www.acura.com/promo/rl/minisi...01_800x600.jpg
http://www.acura.com/promo/rl/minisi...02_800x600.jpg
http://www.acura.com/promo/rl/minisi...03_800x600.jpg
http://www.acura.com/promo/rl/minisi...04_800x600.jpg
http://www.acura.com/promo/rl/minisi...05_800x600.jpg
http://www.acura.com/promo/rl/minisi...06_800x600.jpg
http://www.acura.com/promo/rl/minisi...07_800x600.jpg
Old 09-07-2004, 06:51 PM
Samson
chris is the devil

i despise all that wood trim on the dash.. otherwise.. it looks nice, but not worth $50k+?
Old 09-07-2004, 07:17 PM
kazi
Toyota Racing = Cheaters

Looks SOOO much better than the new Lexus GS, inside and out.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:51 PM
iNteGraz92
forever lurking

Originally Posted by Dorikin
If you only think they can offer a badge..well...obviously you havent driven a German car.
Obviously you are wrong if you think I haven't driven any German cars. I also never said the RL was the end all be all luxo car or whatever you want to call it. I know bimmers handle well, but that is not the main reason there are so many on the road. As you said, it's all about snob appeal. I know you said people buy Benzes for snob appeal, but bimmers also have it. I would choose the new A6 over any bimmer or benz (w/ the exception being an M5 :yumyum: ) I believe bimmers and benzes are just way overpriced. If their starting prices were 5-10k less than their current prices, I guess that would be okay. They also need to at least make HIDs standard across all models like Japanese lux brands.
Lexus? They are old mens cars and are not fun to drive. CTS-V and 300C have as much luxury as... I don't know. They are about raw power w/ looks, but have poor interiors.
I like the RL because it looks nice (subjective, I know, but so are the new bimmers), is luxurious, has good power, has a great awd system, and is a good value.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:18 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Assuming the RL stickers at around $50k, let's look at what other cars are actually at its price point.

The RL has the following features, all standard: V6 engine (although close in power to several V8 options), awd, VSA sunroof, adaptive xenon headlights, Bose DVD/DTS 10-speaker stereo, navigation system, Bluetooth cell phone link, power rear windshield sunshade, manual rear side window sun shades, heated seats, and some other such stuff. Most of these things are optional on the other cars, especially the Germans.

Pricing info on the 2005 Audi A6 isn't up yet.

Let's look at the 530i. You want leather instead of leatherette? That'll be $1450 please. Automatic transmission? That's another $1275 and you're getting very close to the $50k mark. Option it up to a similar level as the RL and you're looking at an MSRP of over $54k, and it's still short almost 80 hp. It probably handles more nicely, but awd is a darn useful feature in the snow belt.

How about the E320? It starts at $49k. Optioned up to an equivalent level as the RL it runs over $57k in rwd, and in awd it's 80 bucks shy of $60k. Either way the RL has way more power, and to get awd you're looking at 10 grand more.

The new Lexus GS and Infiniti M look promising, but pricing isn't available for them either.

The Cadillac CTS-V is a high performance model with a manual transmission only. The new STS would be a more appropriate comparison, and with the V6 it comes in just under $50k when equipped similarly to the RL.

So, as has been the tradition for a while now, the Germans make a lot of stuff optional and you end up paying several grand more for the same equipment as the Japanese, or you pay less and get more equipment with somewhat less snob appeal. Cadillac has cast their lot with the Japanese strategy, but otherwise the market remains unchanged. It's just that there are more really good choices available in the segment.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:59 PM
Samson
chris is the devil

Originally Posted by MrFatbooty
Assuming the RL stickers at around $50k, let's look at what other cars are actually at its price point.
i thought i read somewhere that it will sticker at around $53-54k?
Old 09-09-2004, 07:09 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Samson
Well since Acura has repeatedly said that it will be 'WELL BELOW $50K US', I would say that you're once again making shit up.

I don't quite understand why you all assume that the 530i will handle better - from all I've read, this is a superior car, especially in the snow. Don't you guys remember the stories out of Japan of the new RL beating a GT-R around a wet track?

The value of this car is unquestionable. To get close to it in terms of equipment in any competitors would drive the price closer to 55k or 60k, especially if you want the power numbers of the RL. But then if that's all you care about, I guess the G35 nullifies that argument. In my opinion, the RL has the nicest interior available on any luxury car in its segment. Especially compared to the A6, that thing is nasty.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:13 AM
kazi
Toyota Racing = Cheaters

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
Originally Posted by Samson
Well since Acura has repeatedly said that it will be 'WELL BELOW $50K US', I would say that you're once again making shit up.
:werd: I don't know where he got the $53-54k price either. At the autoshow when the concept RL was introduced, it was formally announced the production RL will be "below $50k".