Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

2005 Acura RL Introduction

Old 09-01-2004, 07:05 PM
whatever7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why why why can't it use MDX's grill.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:32 PM
kazi
Toyota Racing = Cheaters

Originally Posted by MrFatbooty
Um yeah, you guys are misinterpreting what "perforated leather-trimmed seats" means. Any leather seat, in car equipment-speak, is called a "leather-trimmed seat." The seats in the RL are covered with perforated leather, i.e. the leather with which the seats are covered has little holes in it to help it breathe a little better and not make your ass quite so sweaty when you sit on it. That is all. It's still a full leather interior, as the article makes no mention of the words vinyl or leatherette.
I think's complaining the back of the leather trim front seats will be a vinyl type of material and not full leather, hence the word "trim".
Old 09-02-2004, 06:08 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Originally Posted by kazi
I think's complaining the back of the leather trim front seats will be a vinyl type of material and not full leather, hence the word "trim".
Like I already said, if a seat is trimmed in leather, that means it's covered in leather. If the seats were only leather in the places where you put your ass, they would be referred to as leather and vinyl trimmed.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:44 AM
kazi
Toyota Racing = Cheaters

Originally Posted by MrFatbooty
Like I already said, if a seat is trimmed in leather, that means it's covered in leather. If the seats were only leather in the places where you put your ass, they would be referred to as leather and vinyl trimmed.
:dunno: I'm not the one who started the argument "full leather" vs. "leather-trimmed".

Originally Posted by integboi220
did i read it right? its not gonna be full leather interior but rather perforated leather-trimmed seats?? i think the RL should have full leather cause leather-trimmed seats seem pretty cheap for a car in this segment
Old 09-07-2004, 10:44 AM
Dorikin
530i

Default New RL

Cant belive no one has posted any pics yet.

This is the only one I can hyperlink to, but www.acura.com has pics. It looks exactly like the concept down to the rims, and it cost $70,000 Canadian, which converts directly into $54,000USD. Its got 300hp and AWD.

My opnion: Woopdie freakin do, its pretty much the same car with more power and AWD. The styling doesnt do anything for me. Im sure the AWD is cool, but really, theres the new A6, 5 Series, E-Class, new GS330/GS430, 300C..so many cars are way more appealing to me than the RL. I dont think Acura will steal too many customers away unfortunately.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:16 AM
95AccordV6

Yeah all of a sudden almost all the biggest luxury car companies are renewing their mid-luxury sports sedans. This is the order in my preference of the exterior styling of these new vehicles from the most favorite to the least favorite in the descending order, based on the pictures and real cars I have seen so far:

1. Mercedes-Benz E-class
2. BMW 5-series
3. Infiniti M45/M35
4. Acura RL
5. Lexus GS430/GS330
6. Cadillac STS
7. Audi A6
Old 09-07-2004, 11:22 AM
iNteGraz92
forever lurking

woopdie freakin do? :rofl:
i am pretty sure the RL will be a great competitor to the germans. what can they offer at the RL's price point? nothing really, just a badge.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:42 PM
Daniel

https://www.honda-acura.net/index.ph...17_sectionid=2

These images were available months ago!
Old 09-07-2004, 01:45 PM
Dorikin
530i

Originally Posted by Daniel
https://www.honda-acura.net/index.ph...17_sectionid=2

These images were available months ago!
Concept car images dude..the pics I posted are production car images

Originally Posted by iNteGraz92
woopdie freakin do? :rofl:
i am pretty sure the RL will be a great competitor to the germans. what can they offer at the RL's price point? nothing really, just a badge.
Well, for one, the 530i, which isnt as quick in a straight line, but handles beautifully, like only a BMW can. The Benz has loads of status and snob appeal, which is certainly what the rich dudes who can afford this car are looking for, ditto the Lexus and BMW. The Caddy is more expensive, but seems to have loads of performance, the CTS-V is packing alot of it too. The New A6 looks great, and seems to drive well, has AWD AND the badge to go with it. And at the low end, theres the 300C, which isnt as luxo as the RL, but is probably just as nice a car.

Honestly, give me reasons why you would buy an RL over a BMW, MB, Lexus, Caddy or Audi, since theyre all at the same price point. Just cause its a Honda doesnt mean its the be all and end all of luxo cars.

If you only think they can offer a badge..well...obviously you havent driven a German car.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:21 PM
benjamin
Stuff and things.

Originally Posted by Dorikin
Concept car images dude..the pics I posted are production car images

Well, for one, the 530i, which isnt as quick in a straight line, but handles beautifully, like only a BMW can. The Benz has loads of status and snob appeal, which is certainly what the rich dudes who can afford this car are looking for, ditto the Lexus and BMW. The Caddy is more expensive, but seems to have loads of performance, the CTS-V is packing alot of it too. The New A6 looks great, and seems to drive well, has AWD AND the badge to go with it. And at the low end, theres the 300C, which isnt as luxo as the RL, but is probably just as nice a car.

Honestly, give me reasons why you would buy an RL over a BMW, MB, Lexus, Caddy or Audi, since theyre all at the same price point. Just cause its a Honda doesnt mean its the be all and end all of luxo cars.

If you only think they can offer a badge..well...obviously you havent driven a German car.
The concept is almost identical to the production version, so feel free to unbunch your panties when you get a chance.

The 530i is a great car and handles well, but it doesn't have AWD. Spec out a new 530i with all the stuff the RL has and see how much it costs. I'm figuring Premium Package and Cold Weather Package to begin with, and aren't adaptive headlights an option? You can't add xDrive to 5-series yet, but I imagine when it does arrive it'll cost at least a few thousand dollars.

Try loading up an A6 with quattro and everything else thats in the RL and see what the price is. Try again with the E320 4matic.

Incidentally, 25% of all Audi A6 models sold in the United States are sold in New York.

I was at the RL introduction at the NY Auto Show some months ago and Dick Colliver said that the car would come to the US market for under $50,000.

Personally, I would choose a 530i over the new RL, but I have sort of a fetish for BMW products (I'm seeing a therapist; wish me well). There are many people, however, who are loyal to the Acura product and will see a tremendous value in the overall RL package including the AWD and size of the vehicle. Ever sit in the backseat of your 5? Its not that spacious.

Additionally, based on experience and everything I've read, the Acura will likely be more reliable, or at least generally percieved as more reliable. It isn't going to crush BMW or Mercedes or anyone else, but I see it doing well, particularly in New York.