Notices

Transaxle, driveaxle, CV's and a bunch of junk!

Old 08-28-2004, 08:23 PM
eNoble
My Accord Drives Smooth.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transaxle, driveaxle, CV's and a bunch of junk!

Well I thought I would put a clutch in my self thinking how easy it would be. Well the hard part is getting all the crap off to get to the clutch.

Here is my question: How do you pry the CV joint thing off of the transaxle? the Haynes manual says to use a crowbar or screwdriver. I didn't even get a budge in, the thing just want come off!

Also, what is the easyest way to taking out the transaxle to get to the clutch, because the Haynes manual just flip flops and wants you to take every little thing off that does not need to be off?

Thanks in advance,
I am exhausted from working on the car all day and getting nothing done!

PS someone please help!
Old 08-29-2004, 12:53 PM
Accord96
Lurker

I believe theres a special fork that youre supposed to use to get the cv joint seperated off the axle, but im sure that a big enough crowbar would do the job. Whichever option you use, you have to use a hammer or mallet to tap the top of the fork or crowbar(you have to be sorta forceful sometimes). Ive only done this once though helping out a friend, so dont count on my information being 100%
Old 09-03-2004, 04:48 AM
MrMag00

I have a 1987 Accord Lxi and just did the clutch.

I used a prybar from construction, the shaft has a small clip on the end thats whats holding it in. One of mine came out easily the second was a trouble i had to push it in and pry it out after a few tries it came out, Try to be good about letting those shafts hang it can damage the CV if they do.

A note for other Accord 3rd gen? 1987 years after I did my clutch it still felt weird adjustment was off and I was mad. So I get under the dash to check it out and found out that the bracket that holds the cable under the dash was broken in half 1.5hrs later after taking it out......I welded it up back in place works like a dream, I kinda wish I would have found that broken piece first. Ha!
Old 09-03-2004, 01:54 PM
bonestock

when i did my manual conversion, i used the big fork tool that you use to remove the ball joint and wedged it between the cv and tranny and pryed it open sometime a light tap with a mallet does the trick