Notices

Any Difference between 00-03 S2k?

Old 08-22-2004, 10:19 PM
civicridr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Difference between 00-03 S2k?

Hi all. I am looking to buy a used s2k and was jus wondering if there are any difference between the 2000, 01, 02, or 03 s2ks or if they are all the same. What is a good price i should be able to pick one up for in Northern California? Any tips or anything or what i should look for when picking one up? Anything that would make the car buying process easier and better.....any info would help......thank you all.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:35 PM
Uncle Fester

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by civicridr
Hi all. I am looking to buy a used s2k and was jus wondering if there are any difference between the 2000, 01, 02, or 03 s2ks or if they are all the same. What is a good price i should be able to pick one up for in Northern California? Any tips or anything or what i should look for when picking one up? Anything that would make the car buying process easier and better.....any info would help......thank you all.
The only change (I think) from 00 to 01 was making the windscreen a standard item (it was optional on the 2000 model).

From 01-02/03 Honda:

1. Upgraded the stereo (more powerful stereo) and added tweeters in the doors.
2. Painted the wheels a slightly different color, some say there's a hint of bronze in them.
3. I don't know if this one is totally true, but it is said that the ECU has had some slight modification to its code. This results in a slight bump in power.
4. The plastic window has been replaced with a glass one.
5. The taillights have chrome accent rings around each of the lens now.

That's all I can think of. Sorry, I can't give you any help on pricing in NorCal. But some things to look for:

1. Make sure that the top is in good condition and operates smoothly. LOOK CAREFULLY if possible, sometimes there can be actual HOLES worn through in spots.

2. Check the condition of the plastic window. You'll be amazed of how well they can be cleaned up, but it's a pain in the a$$ trying to revive one that has been neglected for a long time. Keep in mind, this is not an issue with 02 and newer models.

3. Look out for a clutch buzz. What happens is when you decelerate from about 4000 RPM, the springs in the clutch friction disc can buzz and ring. Very audible inside the car. Keep in mind, this is not detrimental in clutch performance, it's just a noise thing. Honda has a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) out on this, which isn't the same thing as a recall.

4. Look at the conditions of the tires. Tires on this car run quite a penny, and they don't last long on top of that. Figure ~$350.00 if the fronts have to be replaced, and ~$500.00 - $600.00 for the rears. It's expensive, but the Bridgestone Potenza S02's are the best damn tire for the stock wheel in the dry period. (Short of an R compound of course).

I know that this is a lot of information, but that's the way it is for the S2000. Hopefully, some of this will be useful to you. Good luck on your search.