Notices

Solution to Speaker Tizz

Old 08-07-2004, 07:27 PM
RLB61

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solution to Speaker Tizz

Just bought a 2004 Accord LX Coupe (Silver/Black) and really love it. However, I noticed a tizz from the right rear speaker when certain bass frequencies occurred. It was driving me crazy. I opted for a home remedy since I find that when dealers start screwing around with stuff, they usually make it worse.

Anyway, I opened the trunk and looked at the speaker from underneath (a cheapo Pioneer made in Mexico). I noticed that there was an opening where the cone was exposed. When I pressed my finger to the cone, the tizz stopped. SO, I got some thick, soft cotton material (cut up an old blanket) and stuffed it in the opening against the cone. The tizz was gone and my ears are happy once again.

I've read several posts on this and other forums about speaker tizz. Hope this home remedy helps.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:35 PM
dazco

yea, i've been amazed at the way honda puts such crappy speakers in thier cars. the speakers in my 2001 civic in the front were the oddest pieces of crap i've ever seen. they had no magnet and looked like piezos, yet i never heard of full range piezos. the sucked beyond sucking.Like you i looked at the rears in my new accord and was amazed at the microscopic magnets on those junky "speakers". The stereo sounds much better than the civic, but for christsakes honda, put some $10 speakers in there instead of $2 speakers !!!! Seriously........those speakers can be had for literally about $2-5 at most electronics shops. The accord stereo isn't bad at all, and it seems beyond stupid to stifle an otherwise decent stereo to save $5 or 10 bucks per car during production. Just idiotic IMO. It wouldn't bother me so much if i could just buy some decent speakers to replace this crap, but they had to go and design it so that you have to remove the rear deck to replace them ! What honda knows about sound could be stuffed into a thimble.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:58 PM
kenton
Change sig? Lose [quote]!

Originally Posted by dazco
What honda knows about sound could be stuffed into a thimble.
:werd:
Old 08-08-2004, 06:27 AM
SmutWanter
"Made to Please"

I don't think that it's just Honda that puts crap factory speakers in cars. I've changed out Toyota, and Nissan factory speakers, and they are just as bad. It's not the quality of these speakers stink, it that they put in lower wattage speakers in their cars than what stores sell, so the thresholds of these speakers are a lot lower. In some cases the factory stereos that are put in only supply max outputs that compare to the max outputs to their speakers, so if you were to buy aftermarket speakers with higher wattage even you would still only get the lower output that the factory radio can put out...
Old 08-08-2004, 08:14 AM
GenXer
Registered Honda user

The speakers do the job for average people, but those of us who have heard good systems know it could be way better. Replacing speakers wouldn't be a bad idea...does anyone know how to get the door panels off ? I'd like to see a tutorial or diagram so that I don't break something getting them off.

Buying higher wattage speakers is fine, but make sure to get something with a relatively high sensitivity rating. The improvements you'd likely see from aftermarket speakers is better frequency response. and dynamic range.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:24 AM
dazco

Originally Posted by SmutWanter
I don't think that it's just Honda that puts crap factory speakers in cars. I've changed out Toyota, and Nissan factory speakers, and they are just as bad. It's not the quality of these speakers stink, it that they put in lower wattage speakers in their cars than what stores sell, so the thresholds of these speakers are a lot lower. In some cases the factory stereos that are put in only supply max outputs that compare to the max outputs to their speakers, so if you were to buy aftermarket speakers with higher wattage even you would still only get the lower output that the factory radio can put out...
Well, yea. Thats basically what i'm saying. I used the word "quality", but i guess it's how you look at it. To me a speaker with a very low power handling capability like say 10w RMS, IS by my defination low quality. This is because it will distort with any stereo thats got enough wattage to sound resonably good in a car where road noise demands a certain minimum amount of clean power. And there is really no decent quality stereo of any type who's sound wouldn't be compromised by the use of such speakers.

So yes, technically you're right in that it's not that they are made badly. but face it, thier lack of power handling capability for all intents and purposes does make them crap !
Old 08-08-2004, 08:31 AM
dazco

Originally Posted by mrksts
Buying higher wattage speakers is fine, but make sure to get something with a relatively high sensitivity rating.
very good point. A speaker with a sensitivity rating of 3 DB more than another with have 50% more volume. So for example, a speaker with an SPL (sound pressue level) of 98 will stay clean at condierably higher volumes than one with an SPL of 95. But then again, thats not the only criterea to look for when buying. The other you can't look for, only LISTEN for. But nevertheless, always look at the SPL spec of any speaker you're considering buying and compare. In cars, the ability to get loud and stay clean is more important than most other factors due to the way road noise drowns out the low end causing you to keep the bass and volume cranked.