Notices

Dirty/worn floor mats/carpet...solutions?

Old 08-06-2004, 09:25 AM
dazco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dirty/worn floor mats/carpet...solutions?

My new Accord came with mats just like the Honda mats i put in my Civic. In my Civic the driver's side mat was worn and dirty beyond cleaning. I don't want this to happen to my accord's driver side mat, and as far as i know i'd have to buy the whole set to replace just the driver's side, so regular replacement is not an option.

I can't imagine any real solution, but in case i'm missing something does anyone have any ideas how to keep it like new short of using a rubber mat? And yes, i know about regular cleaning and all that, but i haven't got the time to be cleaning it every few days.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:48 AM
97accordse`

clean your feet before you get in the car and get a second pair of mats for winter and summer? or dont be lazy and just clean them when theyre dirty next thread lol^
Old 08-06-2004, 10:08 AM
cantelia

96 Accord EX Sherwood Green with tan interior, with the Honda mats too. Except I have a tan "sample" piece of carpet (from Home Depot) on top of my Honda mat. When the "sample" gets dirty, I spray Woolite Carpet Cleaner on it and vacuum the dirt off. My Honda mats look brand new, and my carpet is really clean.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:10 AM
BONE

you can either go to www.mats.com or www.handaaccessories.com if you have a 7 gen you can get a set of 4 all season mats for your car. If you have a 6 gen like me then you can get the front ones and order the rear ones for the 7 gen they fit fine. If not then mats.com offer complete sets and 3 different colors hope this helps.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:18 PM
strykernyc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go to ur near gas station, they have vaccun it only takes 25cents and clean ur mat and still have enough juice to clean ur entire interior.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:25 PM
My69NovaSS
Car Lovers x 2

I went to Wal-Mart and bought a set of clear, cheap rubber mats (front and back) and have them laying over the regular mats. I know it looks a little goofy, but it does the trick and I don't have to worry too much about the kids ruining the mats.

The plastic stunk the car up for a week or so and the mats slide a little, but it works for me.
Old 08-06-2004, 03:28 PM
dazco

So in a nutshell i guess the answer is a resounding NO ! Well, i had to try.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:04 PM
MarkPhx

You don't have to clean them all the time. If have a shop-vac you can do this:

Fill a spray bottle with a very strong solution of plain 'ol laundry detergent. Take the mats out of the car, spray on the soapy solution and let them soak for about 5 minutes. Then take a brush and scrub the heck out of them. Then take a hose and rinse them real good. Then use a shop-vac to suck out the extra moisture and let them air dry. This will take an hour or two to do but it works. My friend does this a few times a year with his '98 Q45t which has a tan interior. He rarely cleans his car in between doing this and the mats still look brand new despite the fact that the car is 6 yrs old.

Or you could buy new mats!
Old 08-06-2004, 07:02 PM
GenXer
Registered Honda user

When I had my Civic, I never washed the mats. When I finally did, I put them into the washing machine. They turned out surprisingly well, for how soiled they were.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:45 PM
dazco

Thats what i did with my civic, but the drivers mat still wore out and got dirty beyond cleaning at 40k. Maybe i'm just gonna have to do it much more often. Either that or one of those ugly clear mats. I just wish honda would sell the drivers mat seperatly. Wouldn't mind buying a $25 mat every 20k miles. The rest of them still look new since i mostly drive solo.