Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

BOV on a Diesel engine?

Old 08-06-2004, 05:03 AM
klnyc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BOV on a Diesel engine?

Hey guys,

Just wondering if they make(any mftr) BOV for diesel truck? Man, imagine there is one(maybe it does, IDK) on a 12 speed Kenworth with CAT engine in them? I bet all you heard is pssssst,pssst,psssst,psssst,psssst

Yes, I have Dodge pick-up with a Cummin engine(8 cyl). Thats why I asked this question. Thanks abunch guys.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:13 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do you know how a diesel works? Do you know what a BOV does?

When you suddenly close the throttle, the compressor dead-heads against the (closed) throttle. So the BOV releases that sudden surge of pressure. You may have noticed that a diesel engine doesn't have a throttle...

hmmm... guess I haven't played with too many diesels. The one's I've messed with didn't have throttle plates. Full air pressure (no throttling) is required in order to have sufficient temperature for ignition.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:03 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Originally Posted by JimBlake
You may have noticed that a diesel engine doesn't have a throttle...
You can't be serious...

A diesel lacks spark plugs, but certainly not a throttle plate. You still control the speed of the engine by restricting or allowing air into the engine, the ignition source just happens to be the superheated air, and the timing comes from when the fuel is injected into the engine.

So yes, some trucks will have a BOV. I have no idea where you'd find one, but some do.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:01 AM
DakarM

Originally Posted by 1stGenCRXer
You can't be serious...

A diesel lacks spark plugs, but certainly not a throttle plate. You still control the speed of the engine by restricting or allowing air into the engine, the ignition source just happens to be the superheated air, and the timing comes from when the fuel is injected into the engine.

So yes, some trucks will have a BOV. I have no idea where you'd find one, but some do.

that must be one gigantic BOV
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 08-06-2004, 05:46 PM
klnyc

Huh? what no throttle? Man I wish I have a digital camera, I'll snap tons of throttle pics for you. Oh wait here it is(not my car thou)http://dodgeram.info/tsb/recalls/B15.htm Well they have recall of them ram truck betwwn '97-'98. My was 2000...anyway, I sworn I heard a BOV from a semi rig before. Anyway, if no one know about it...dont worry about it. I Google them....thanks guys.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:00 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I looked at that page, & what they call a throttle linkage actually goes to the injection pump. I didn't see a throttle - meaning a butterfly valve that restricts intake air. Calling the accelerator linkage a 'throttle' linkage is a pretty common thing. I'm not really a diesel guru, but I'm still curious to see a real throttle on a diesel.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:41 PM
lgiorgio24

Originally Posted by klnyc
Hey guys,

Just wondering if they make(any mftr) BOV for diesel truck? Man, imagine there is one(maybe it does, IDK) on a 12 speed Kenworth with CAT engine in them? I bet all you heard is pssssst,pssst,psssst,psssst,psssst

Yes, I have Dodge pick-up with a Cummin engine(8 cyl). Thats why I asked this question. Thanks abunch guys.
Ok first off Cummins doesn’t make a 8 cylinder B Series diesel engines they only make inline 6 cylinders and all most all diesels don’t have throttle plates. Diesels control the RPMs by the amount of fuel the injectors give. Now there is BOV for diesels in pick up http://www.bd-power.com/ram/product....boGuard&tt=ram but it would only be usefull on a truck with a huge amount of boost like above 55
Old 09-17-2007, 08:13 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Geezus...

Welcome to the forum, quit raising 3 year old posts from the dead.

Subject locked.