Notices

Honda OEM Coolant/Antifreeze in 92 Accord

Old 08-05-2004, 09:28 AM
Ike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda OEM Coolant/Antifreeze in 92 Accord

I'm looking for coolant opinions and experiences in Honda's.

Of course the dealer and manual preach the virtues of using Honda dealer coolant @ 13.00 a pre mixed gallon and the lack of protection of other coolants . Just trying to seperate the BS from dealer propoganda.

BTW I did spring for the OEM Honda steering oil and ATF, despite a friend that is a Honda dealer senior technician urge me to go Dexron in the transmission and not waste $$.

I've seen some research on the web of traditional "green" antifreeze that involves silicates in ethylene glycol and their problems with water pump seals,etc. Also horror stories of DEX-COOL and it's clones....

Called a dealer and a few specialty Honda shops and all say on a 92 Accord the traditional "Prestone" green is fine..

I work with larger diesels and there is a problem with silicates in those applications, primarily water pump seal wear and silicate "drop out". Most heavy duty coolants are low or no silicate and have additives to prevent liner pitting,etc. The one concern is aluminum protection otherwise I would allready have one of these in my Accord.

Any comments, advice or opinions would be appreciated,
Ike
Old 08-05-2004, 10:56 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If I recall, the non-premixed genuine Honda stuff is a little cheaper, & distilled water is WAY less than $13... That cuts the price in half right there.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:43 AM
mohamed_ibrah
Tech in Training

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ike
Called a dealer and a few specialty Honda shops and all say on a 92 Accord the traditional "Prestone" green is fine..
That's what I use, just make sure you change you coolant as recommended (usually ever two years).

It's too bad Honda's don't use the red stuff that they use in Toyota's, now that's good stuff there and anyone that has a Toyota, definitly use the redline coolant in your Yota!