Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

400hp from the factory GTO in 2005

Old 08-04-2004, 11:22 PM
redgoober4life
I eat plastic.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400hp from the factory GTO in 2005

PONTIAC GTO

New for 2005

LS2 6.0L engine replaces LS1
400 horsepower (295 kw)
395 lb.-ft. of torque (546 Nm)
Available hood with twin air scoops (standard)
Revised rear fascia incorporating outlets for new split dual exhaust system (3 inch)
Polished exhaust outlet tips
Larger brake rotors and calipers
Red-painted calipers with GTO logo on front caliper
Driver foot rest
Two new colors: blue (Midnight) and grey (Cyclone)

2005 PONTIAC GTO: THE NEW GOAT GETS MORE MUSCLE

GTO – the original muscle car – was re-introduced last year and returns with more power and style for 2005. A new LS2 6.0L V-8 engine replaces the LS1 5.7L engine, bringing with it an increase in horsepower and torque.

The ’05 GTO packs 400 horsepower (295 kw) – up from 350 horses (261 kw) – and 395 lb.-ft. of torque (546 Nm), up from 365 lb.-ft. (495 Nm). Transmission choices are the same as the ’04 model’s: The Hydra-Matic 4L60-E four-speed automatic is standard and the Tremec six-speed manual is optional. GTO’s more powerful engine should lower the 0-60 time to less than 5 seconds.

Enthusiasts will immediately spot the brawnier ’05 GTO, thanks to new badging and a revised rear fascia that incorporates a new dual-exhaust system – it splits the GTO’s two outlets, routing them to opposite sides of the rear fascia. The exhaust tips are polished for a more refined appearance.

Also available is a new hood design incorporating a pair of stylish air scoops. The scoops draw fresh air in to the GTO’s engine compartment.

The badges identifying the ’05 GTO’s bigger V-8 include a “6.0” badge on the trunk lid and revised “GTO” fender badges, which now incorporate “6.0 Litre” designations. The original 1964 GTO also wore “6.0 Litre” fender badges, but at a time when almost every other American manufacturer referenced engine size in cubic inches.

Along with the GTO’s power increase comes improved braking performance from larger brake rotors, calipers and pads. The calipers are painted red and the front calipers feature the GTO logo.

Additional changes to the ’05 GTO include two new colors (blue and grey), as well as driver foot rest. A line of regular production accessories (RPAs) based on the 2004 GTO Performance Plus SEMA concept vehicle is scheduled for start-of-production availability. The accessories include a tall rear spoiler, front and rear fascia extensions, rocker molding extensions and grille inserts. As part of GM’s RPA program, the accessories can be ordered and installed on the vehicle prior to delivery.

LS2 details

Compared to the Gen III-based LS1, the 2005 GTO’s LS2 V-8 incorporates several significant changes to help improve performance. The block is an all-new casting with cylinder bores measuring 4.00 inches (101.6 mm) in diameter. The cylinder heads and camshaft are revised, too, to deliver the airflow necessary to complement the engine’s larger displacement. Other changes include:
New aluminum block casting with revised oil galleries and provisions for external knock sensors – external sensors improve serviceability
Camshaft lift increased to take advantage of increased cylinder head flow
Camshaft sensor relocated from the rear of the block to the front of the block provides room for new oil galleries
Flat-top piston design with lower ring tension reduces friction
Piston floating wrist pins help quiet the engine
More efficient ignition coils require less energy to provide a comparable spark
Compression raised to 10.9:1
Larger, 90-mm single-blade throttle body
Reduced-mass water pump design with improved sealing capability
Engine “redline” raised to 6500 rpm
Revised and more powerful engine controller incorporates all electronic throttle control functions.
Balanced environment and safety

The new GTO is a contemporary performer. Its traits include impressive cornering abilities, a smooth ride and surprising comfort. The drivetrain rides on a 109.8-inch (279-cm) wheelbase, with a low stance that enhances the wide-track feel behind the wheel. The front track measures 61.4 inches (156 cm) and the rear track is 62.1 inches (158 cm) wide.

The fully independent suspension features MacPherson struts in front and a semi-trailing arm design in the rear, with specially tuned strut valving and spring rates. Direct-acting stabilizer bars and a variable ratio power steering system also are tuned to provide a sporty feel and increased driver feedback. Seventeen-inch alloy wheels and performance tires are matched to the performance-tuned suspension. Traction control and a limited slip differential also come standard.

The GTO’s premium interior is accented by a harmonious blend of details, complementing its dynamic driving experience. All-leather seating, as well as a leather-covered steering wheel and shifter knob, immediately conveys luxury, while items such as stainless steel sill plates, metallic-look steering wheel styling, satin nickel-look accent trim, and racing-inspired drilled metallic pedals add sportiness to the environment.

The front and rear sports seats are configured in a traditional 2+2 configuration, with side bolsters and the “GTO” name embroidered on the front seats. Interior seat and trim colors may be coordinated to the exterior color, with red, blue, purple and black interiors available. This splash of color extends from the seats to the door inserts to the lower part of the instrument panel to the gauge cluster.

Every GTO comes well equipped with a thoughtful package of interior amenities and safety features, including:
Air conditioning
Blaupunkt 200-watt audio system with six-disc in-dash CD changer and 10 speakers
Console with storage compartment, accessory power outlet and two cupholders
Cruise control
Rear defogger
Power door locks with lockout protection
Programmable keyless entry with laser-etched key for added security
Eight-way power adjustable driver and front passenger seats with power-assisted rear seat access feature
Tilting and telescoping adjustable steering wheel
Power windows with driver and passenger express-down feature
Daytime running lamps with automatic headlamp control
Theft and content deterrent system.
The integrated driver information center located below the instrument cluster includes readouts for average speed, average miles per gallon, trip odometer, trip time remaining, trip distance remaining, fuel used and instant fuel mileage. There’s even a stopwatch feature and a user-programmable overspeed alarm.

Safety belts remain the primary and most effective form of occupant protection. All seating positions in the 2005 GTO have three-point safety belts. Retractors for front outboard seating positions have built-in load limiters that allow a controlled amount of give in the belt, thereby reducing the peak load on the chest during the “ride down” in a crash.

Dual frontal air bags are standard and GTO is equipped with child seat anchors.

Midnight Blue

Cyclone Grey

A better shot of the new exhaust, rear bumper, and 18" wheels that may be optional

-----

2005 GTO Optional Sport Appearance Package

2005 hood photoshopped onto a Sport Appearance GTO

Includes front fascia extensions, side rocker moldings, rear fascia extensions with custom dual/dual exhaust tips, unique spoiler and grille insert (SPO-supplied, dealer-installed). Available only on Torrid Red, Phantom Black, and Quicksilver GTOs. Sport Appearance kit available to 2004 GTO owners through Pontiac dealers as regular production accessories (RPAs).

The 2005 GTO's advertised acceleration

0 to 60MPH automatic - 4.6 seconds

0 to 60MPH six-speed - 4.8 seconds

1/4 mile - 12.9 seconds

-----

Also, the last few hundred 2004 Pontiac GTOs produced will be limited edition Pulse Red models. Basically it's the Pontiac version of the 2004 Monaro CV8-R featuring unique Pulse Red paint, a unique white instrument cluster, unique floor mats, and smoked exterior lamps.

No word yet on if it will offer more of the Monaro's features like automatic climate control, or a sunroof as options. Also no word yet on whether it will offer the Monaro's 18 inch wheel styles. Let's hope it does.

And yet it still looks like an oversized J-Body.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:52 AM
velfarretokyo

If the pricing remains relatively unchanged the GTO will be an incredible deal on a performance car. I'm not a big fan of the styling or interior design, but I can't argue with its raw power and performance. I heard that sales have been lackluster this year, but I think this could provide a jump.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:00 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still looks like a Grand Am to everyone I ask, although I like it.

Why is the 6 spd version slower to 60 than the automatic? Maybe 2nd gear runs out short of 60.

It's nice, but it'd be even nicer if Pontiac came up with their own styling shit instead of just grabbing stuff off the Monaro. the only thing not from the Monaro, the scoop, looks tacky IMO on a car as conservative as that.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:52 AM
RB26DETT
Eagles > NFL

i wish it would look like a muscle car. those hood scoops make it look even goofier IMO
Old 08-05-2004, 02:13 PM
M Type X
Midwest Acurati

ROCKET!

Prepare for teh takeoff.

... but dudes, your rocket looks a lot like a Grand Am GT, doesn't it?
Old 08-05-2004, 05:30 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

The reason the scoops are there is because all of the muscle car fans want it to look "more like a GTO." In Pontiac terms, that means adding a bunch of extraneous crap that doesn't really do much of anything but looks sort of performance-y.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:34 PM
ED9man
driver

It's not a bad car.
Old 08-05-2004, 06:00 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

WOW! Is that the C6 engine I see? :closeup:

Damn! I am impressed. I don't care if you think it looks like a Grand Am or Grand Prix, that ain't no gaddamned Grand Am people! Get it out of your head (or mabe when you chew on my tire shreds you'll realize that wasn't a Grand freakin Am that just blew your windows out :driving: )
Old 08-05-2004, 06:06 PM
carta79
Life after death

I wish I could afford one.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:07 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Pontiac is doin it right with this baby. I think they're going to start flying out of the dealers now.

And the addition of the dead pedal is huge! I can't tell you how odd it felt to drive that GTO and take a corner without a dead pedal. Once you have one, you get used to it and it's a real ordeal to drive a car without it.

Just caught something here...... did I read that it will have a drive by wire throttle system?