Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

carb turbo?

Old 08-04-2004, 07:27 PM
mischif maker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carb turbo?

Im just curious, is it possible to make a carbed motor turbo? iv never heard of it even being done ...but would it even be worth it?
Old 08-04-2004, 07:36 PM
mischif maker

can any 1 help?
Old 08-04-2004, 07:46 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Yes, it's entirely possible. There's two ways to go about it also, you can mount the carb to the compressor inlet in a "draw through" setup, which usually eliminates the need for an intercooler, and can make fine tuning the carb easier since it's external to the setup.

The other option is a "blow through" setup. As the name implies, compressed air is blown through the venturi of the carb. The benefits here give you better control over the mixture that makes it to the engine, since less fuel will be travelling through the system to maintain your A/F ratio. The downside is that you have to make sure the float bowls are pressurized to the same amount as the venturi, otherwise boost pressure could prevent fuel from being ingested in the engine, causing a big problem.

Between the two, the blow through setup is usually the preferred method for power, and aside from the specialized carb enclosure, you can use all the usual stuff that comes with an EFI turbo kit, minus the fuel enrichment items. You will need to get larger main jets for whatever carb you want to use, sized for the peak power you will be making, or want to make. Beyond that, the carb does the rest of the work as far as adjusting the fuel curve, since it depends entirely on the amount and speed of the intake air.

I'm currently half-assedly researching and planning for a blow-through setup with my webers. Not sure whether I want to persue it quite yet or not.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:47 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Originally Posted by mischif maker
can any 1 help?
Geez man, the topic was less than 15 minutes old. Give people a chance.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:51 PM
mischif maker

thanx for the help i just bought a 89 accord lx today for 75 dollars and it runs fairly well , just need a new cv joint , valve cover gasket which i just ordered the parts about an hour ago..new project on the way
Old 08-04-2004, 08:02 PM
mischif maker

btw do u know how much power the 89 accord lx has?
Old 08-05-2004, 01:56 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

You might want to convert it to fuel injection using LXi parts before you start thinking turbo.
Originally Posted by 1stGenCRXer
I'm currently half-assedly researching and planning for a blow-through setup with my webers.
Do eeet!
Old 08-05-2004, 04:29 PM
ED9man
driver

www.3geez.com

If you want to know anything about turboing your 3rd gen go there.
Old 08-07-2004, 04:53 PM
bart_dood

Default I have one

Before I moved to the US, I was seriously modding my car, a Renault 5 GT turbo, as most of your guys are American you've probably never heard of them but it has a great engine which has lots of potential, mine was a 1987 model which has a carb stock, but I added a much larger (2X flow) carb to it with no problems, I had to make a custom inlet manifold and get it aluminium welded, but it worked great, my car was probably one of the most powerful R5 GT's in the world, but when I moved to the US it couldn't come with me
US regulations are anal about importing cars, but I'm hopeful one day I will be re-united with my little beast..

For the record its 1750lbs and has 235BHP.

Chris
Old 08-10-2004, 11:07 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow! Weren't those rear/mid-engine rear-wheel-drive? But in the shell of a Renault-5 which we got as the fwd 'LeCar'... That would have been a real beast.