Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Turboing an LS

Old 07-31-2004, 11:13 AM
j87w

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turboing an LS

I have a 95 Teg LS. I was wondering if I turbo it and run 8 psi. What ignition timing should I use. Is there a thing to go by like every 2 lbs retard it 2 degrees or something. Also how much fuel pressure do you need for it. I have seen FMU's that have like 12:1 and 6:1 ratios what should I use? Would you need a pressure regulator if you used a FMU?
Thanks
Old 08-01-2004, 07:16 PM
qtiger

Yes, you always need a fuel pressure regulator. I would highly suggest actually tuning your car instead of bandaiding it with a FMU. Search Hondata or VAFC on the forums and read about 'em a bit.

There's no cookiecutter solution for tuning your car. Every car is different, every turbo system is different. You're at different altitudes, using different fuels at different temperatures. Your ignition retard should be based on what's needed to minimize your knock... if you overdo it you'll end up with poor performance.
Old 08-01-2004, 07:24 PM
j87w

So should I get like an Apexi SAFC2? Where do you get it tuned or can you tune this by yourself? I just read that an FMU would work fine for low boost aps so thats why I said that. How much like an estimate would it be to have it tuned?
Thanks
Old 08-01-2004, 07:26 PM
j87w

Oh, I know you have to have a fpr but im saying like an aftermarket one. Like an adjustable? Should I go ahead and put like 310 or 440cc injectors in to since I might get the apexi controller?
Thanks
Old 08-09-2004, 05:49 PM
SOHKeg

maybe
Old 08-09-2004, 06:37 PM
nelson

I have a 94 integra and i was just thinking about what i wanted to do next either full exhause and header or a body kit what do u guys think
Old 08-09-2004, 10:42 PM
PHiZ
BOOST GOD

Originally Posted by nelson
I have a 94 integra and i was just thinking about what i wanted to do next either full exhause and header or a body kit what do u guys think
Awesome first post.

And to the thread starter, do some research on fuel managment, it's arguably the most important decision of your turbo setup.

-PHiZ
Old 10-29-2005, 06:44 AM
EgRocker
brain fart

with an Ls turbo is it really that important to have a hondata or a VAFC. they seam to control vtec. i would see why the fuel regulator is important but i don't understand why there should be two things controlling the fuel. hondata and fuel regulator.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:51 AM
b16ahybrid

Originally Posted by EgRocker
with an Ls turbo is it really that important to have a hondata or a VAFC. they seam to control vtec. i would see why the fuel regulator is important but i don't understand why there should be two things controlling the fuel. hondata and fuel regulator.

Go to www.hondata.com and read up on what it is and how it works.

You have to have a fuel pressure regulator to control your fuel pressure. Your car has one on it right now, without it you would have no fuel pressure.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:53 AM
b16ahybrid

Originally Posted by qtiger
Yes, you always need a fuel pressure regulator. I would highly suggest actually tuning your car instead of bandaiding it with a FMU. Search Hondata or VAFC on the forums and read about 'em a bit.

There's no cookiecutter solution for tuning your car. Every car is different, every turbo system is different. You're at different altitudes, using different fuels at different temperatures. Your ignition retard should be based on what's needed to minimize your knock... if you overdo it you'll end up with poor performance.

Yes please do some research of your own.
Adding a turbo with crappy tuning(or no tuning) is like skydiving with an umbrella.