Notices

This was jammed in my brakes/tires

Old 07-30-2004, 08:18 PM
BigTicket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This was jammed in my brakes/tires

Hey folks,

I swear I have some pretty bad luck when it comes to my brakes and tires right now. I just had that problem with the "pop" sound in reverse that I just got fixed and now this. Yesterday I was off to Jack in the Box to grab some food and all of a sudden I hear that REALLY loud metal-on-metal screaching noise coming from my front tires. I mean it was so loud I slowed down and looked around to see if something was coming up behind me just to find out it was my car making the noise. I pulled over to see what was wrong but my dumbass couldn't see anything wrong with either front tire. Got back in and tried to drive some more and noise just got louder. Luckily I was close enough to my house that I just drove the car back but I had people who were walking their dogs and people jogging staring at me cause it was just screaming as I went down the road. I get home and right before I come to a stop the noise just stops. I get out and find this thing next to my car. It was still pretty hot so I'm pretty sure this is what was causing that noise. It must have been stuck some where between the rim and the brakes cause it was scraping against something in there. So here's the dumb question. I'm 99% sure it's just a broken drill bit that got stuck in there but is there any chance that this is actually part of the car itself that broke and came loose? Keep the flaming to a minimum guys, I know it sounds dumb but this thing scared the crap out of me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
drillbit.jpg (22.0 KB, 133 views)
Old 07-30-2004, 08:35 PM
AtlAccord
Banned

It looks to me like exactly what you thought it was...a piece of a drill bit. Scary stuff...
Old 07-30-2004, 09:12 PM
dockersguy

Well actually, some of the more modern accords came with a penny for luck and the drill bit was there as a manufacturing defect (it's real hush, hush) LOL. You are one unlucky guy, how the hell did a penny and a chunk of drill bit get caught in your brakes? You must have pissed off the gods some how. Glad you found the culprit.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:24 PM
Silhouette
Back in Black

I think the penny is there for size comparison... But yeah, that's one case of bad luck... How it got in and how it stayed there for so long is beyond me but weirder things have probably happened...
Old 07-30-2004, 11:37 PM
PikkaGTR
Power of Dreams

well atleast there was no permanent dammage
Old 07-31-2004, 03:06 AM
BigTicket

Originally Posted by dockersguy
how the hell did a penny and a chunk of drill bit get caught in your brakes?

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the penny was for size comparison. I don't think there is any permanent damage since I drove no more than a 1/4 mile, at least nothing that is noticeable from the outside.
Old 07-31-2004, 03:10 AM
Bl@ck
Sinner

may want to get your rotors checked.. if that thing was gouging at them while you were driving i think it would be safe to say that they probably need resurfacing.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:52 AM
jschmid

Hey, you just got your rotors turned for free.

It's scary to see what is out there on the roads, I'm shocked I don't get more punctured tires.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:27 AM
cwa107

Consider yourself lucky. About a year ago, my wife was driving behind a tractor-trailer when the right-rear wheel somehow seperated. This sent the hub, tire and brakes flying behind the truck. Part of the brake ended up wedging itself between the wheel well, strut, tire and rim of my wife's car, shredding her tire and forcing her to lose control of the car at speed. Luckily she was able to get control of the car and ease it over to the shoulder without getting hit by on-coming traffic.

The truck driver didn't even look back. I found him about 2 miles down the road and got his information. My wife was pretty shaken, but what really pissed me off was that the trucker didn't even have the courtesy to walk back and make sure that he hadn't killed anybody.

Talk about road debris though - jeesh, this brake shoe had to have been about a foot long and comprised of 1/2" thick steel. God forbid it had gone through the windshield!
Old 07-31-2004, 08:59 PM
GenXer
Registered Honda user

Yep, that a piece of a drill bit. I once got a rock caught in my Civic's brakes, but it didn't hurt anything. That drill bit is hardened steel, so it might have scratched things a little. The way that contractors, etc. carry junk in the back of their truck it's no wonder that it was in the road. In Texas, (I'm sure they do this everywhere) there are state employees hired to go out looking for roadside junk that falls off of trucks. Weekly, they load whole dumpsters full of crap here in Dallas. On the road I've seen mattresses, mufflers, even a dunking station from a carnival, heh.