Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

How to test an alternator on a B18C1, and charging system troubleshooting ?'s

Old 07-30-2004, 05:48 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to test an alternator on a B18C1, and charging system troubleshooting ?'s

94 Integra GS-R

My battery died on me a little while ago, and it being about 5 years old, I had just assumed that it was it's time to go. I replaced the battery and it's first start was great. Subsequently, the starts have been getting less and less secure over the past week, enough for me to begin to doubt my alternator. Right now I'm gonna step out and check the belt tension, but anyone have additional advice on how to figure out what's causing my weak starts?

BTW Spark plugs, wires, dist cap & rotor are brand new (OE), fuel filter is 10K old, air filter may need cleaning soon but still fine for about 10K miles, oil's clean... so I don't think it's any of those causing the rough starts. And considering my engine started much better the minute I put my new battery in is why I suspect it's the alternator.

Also I've noticed accelerated corrosion on my positive battery terminal... like there was never any corrosion until about 2 months ago, when I first having my starting troubles. Then it got fairly significant. I cleaned it all off, and now it's corroding again... Is that a sign of something?
Old 07-31-2004, 08:11 PM
EGPrelude

You're in santa barbara so i think there are AUTOZONE's everywhere, at least in so cal there is

take it to AUTOZONE and they can check your battery and your alternator while its still on the car. what a systems test does is, it read the voltage of your battery before, (it should not be below 12V for normal readings) and then they run your car above 2k or so and it should read right around 14V.

and for the corrosion, just take some vaseline and put it over the posts to prevent it. or just grab a small pack of the anticorrosion lubricant at autozone for like $.99
Old 07-31-2004, 09:08 PM
preludedriver99

Dude start you car and pull your positive battery cable off. If the car dies it's your alternator simple as that!