Notices

HELP! 92 Accord Rotor Drama!!

Old 07-30-2004, 11:11 AM
CJITTY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RESOLVED!! HELP! 92 Accord Rotor Drama!!

Ok, what is the deal?

Rotors were warped so I got new pads and had rotors turned by Pep Boys in February 04. Needed new pads anyway.

Then, in May, the rotors started warping again. Took it back to Pep Boys and they said that the thickness was not enough to turn the rotors. So, since my 92 Accord has the old design, the cost of replacing the rotors was about $240.

So, got new rotors and the existing pads. Raybestos Rotors and Raybestos Ceramic pads.

Now, it's July and guess what...rotors warped again!! I have never in my life had rotor issues with any of my Honda's! What is the deal? Here is what I am thinking may be going on.

1. I have 15" aftermarket wheels that are a very "open" 10 spoke design that allows alot of water into the brakes. The factory wheels pretty much cover the whole disc area and probably allows less water to get in, but they were bent and needed new ones. I don't know why an open style wheel would cause an issue but, you never know.

2. I don't use my brakes often. Since 95% of my commute is on the interstate, the brakes are used mainly to come off the off ramps and slowing down from highway speed. Is this prematurely wearing them out?

What else besides the rotors could cause front end shake when slowing down using the brakes? Tires are balanced, alignment is good and when the rotors were first replaced, no issues for about 3 weeks. Are ceramic pads causing an issue? I used ceramic because of the limited dusting.

Does anyone have a clue or have similar experiences??? Thanks!!
Old 07-30-2004, 11:20 AM
SmutWanter
"Made to Please"

Sudden stops and hard braking when the rotors are very warm from movement will cause them to warp. In terms of the car shaking only when you slow down would lead me to think that it has to be the rotors. If the shaking happend all of the time at high speeds then I would say an axle, but that's no the case ovbiously.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:33 AM
IamNemo
You know me...

First off, you got ripped on replacing those things. Brembo blanks would cost half of that if not LESS than half.

Second, I've never heard of rotors warping so damn much...perhaps there's something else wrong that's causing the rotors to warp? :dunno:
Old 07-30-2004, 11:38 AM
CJITTY

I know it wasn't cheap, but I called 8 places and Pep Boys was the cheapest. Besides, not sure if you know, but the older Accords have a rotor assembly that basically requires much more labor time to get it off. It's not like the newer Accords that simply come off without taking apart the complete hub assembly. I called Honda to confirm and you should of heard what they wanted! Way more. Rotors were like $25 each, but the labor is what got me.

Originally Posted by IamNemo
First off, you got ripped on replacing those things. Brembo blanks would cost half of that if not LESS than half.

Second, I've never heard of rotors warping so damn much...perhaps there's something else wrong that's causing the rotors to warp? :dunno:
Old 08-02-2004, 01:51 PM
IamNemo
You know me...

Originally Posted by CJITTY
I know it wasn't cheap, but I called 8 places and Pep Boys was the cheapest. Besides, not sure if you know, but the older Accords have a rotor assembly that basically requires much more labor time to get it off. It's not like the newer Accords that simply come off without taking apart the complete hub assembly. I called Honda to confirm and you should of heard what they wanted! Way more. Rotors were like $25 each, but the labor is what got me.
I own a 4th gen....I know of your pains. Hwever, I do my own labor. That's an invaluable thing. If you want the shop manual for our car, I can try and find the site where it is again. It's not hard work and it's ALOT cheaper than taking it to a shop. Hit me up with a PM if you're interested since I don't check the actual boards much anymore.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:42 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

Originally Posted by IamNemo
I own a 4th gen....I know of your pains. Hwever, I do my own labor. That's an invaluable thing. If you want the shop manual for our car, I can try and find the site where it is again. It's not hard work and it's ALOT cheaper than taking it to a shop. Hit me up with a PM if you're interested since I don't check the actual boards much anymore.
nemo knows where its at

DIY rulez. as for the pricing aem pads and brembo blanks could go easily for 130.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:52 PM
MINIRACER51
Stubby

Maybe u have some calipers sticking causing the rotors to heat up and eventually warp, or the sliders could need cleaned and some never seaze put on them??? just a guess
Old 08-03-2004, 05:11 PM
d21x
Ownz JOO

Its in your calipers and fluid. When you replace the rotors and pads, the calipers need to be checked if they're working right. If you have high mileage on the car, i'd suggest getting some rebuilt ones from autozone or somewhere. Change that brake fluid too.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:37 AM
strykernyc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also to replace rotors/pads on a 5th gen is $60 here labor only.
Old 10-03-2004, 07:08 PM
CJITTY

Ok, issue resolved today!!

Since I started this thread, I have been back to Pep Boys two more times making it 4 times total.

So, about 3 weeks ago, I started getting some serious scrubbing and grinding noises coming from my front brakes. I had lost faith in Pep Boys and broke down and took my car into the Honda dealership to have them diagnose my problem.

Luckily, the dealer inspected at no charge my brake system. They determined that my calipers were bad. The seal around the pistons were busted on both front rotors, which in turn would cause them to stick. With driving at 80mph for 65 miles one way to work, this sticking was causing my pads to rub my rotors, which causes them to heat up, which causes the premature warping. So, Honda said they would install new Honda pads, rotors and remanufactured calipers for..get this...$858.00!! But, they were gonna cut me a "brake" and do it for $664.00. Um..no thanks, but hey, appreciate you looking at it for free for me.

Since I had previously requested Pep Boys to really look at my calipers and they determined they were ok visually, I don't think they really got them off the car to look at the seals. So, then after I left Honda, I went back to Pep Boys. Spoke with a guy there and he told me since I have been having so much trouble, to come back in the morning when the svc manager is there and he should be able to hook me up. I did that today.

So, they replaced my ceramic pads, premium rotors under warranty since I got it from them and installed new calipers on each side for me. So, they did all of that for $175 out the door. I don't have the time to press my rotors off and all that good stuff, so basically I save a GRIP of cash vs the dealership (as always) and now all my brake components are warrantied through Pep Boys and the cars brakes feel like new and no drama what-so-ever.

I know this was an old thread I started, but I wanted to express my happiness that I can close this super nagging issue and perhaps shed light on this topic to others who may be going through the same problem.

thanks for your replies trying to help me diagnose.