Notices

Tranny Fluid change....Interval..

Old 07-28-2004, 11:53 AM
flyromeo3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Fluid change....Interval..

(02 accord I4 )

I remember changing my tranny fluid @ like 31,XXXk miles.
The local Lube place I go to told me my tranny fluid was dirty, and that they could flush it, clean it etc... for 100.00 bucks.

I told the guy to kiss my ass cause the car was practically brand new and he said the fluid is dirty etc.....

I think he was just trying to rip me off cause when I asked him to let me see the fluid on the dip stick he started to stutter and I couldnt really understand him.

So I went and bought 5 bottles of ATF tranny fluid and did it myself.
Since I changed it @ 30k is it safe to go ahead and change it again now ( 60k)

My friend changes his tranny fluid on his TL every time he gets an oil change.
Is that safe to do?
I've noticed on the manual it states to change it like every 60k or so.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:58 PM
kenton
Change sig? Lose [quote]!

Don't let those local shops dick you. When I still had a stock air intake, well - my whole car was stock, they (Jiffy Lube) told me I needed a new air filter -- I had a damn K&N. Always go by manuf or dealer recommendations, not some $6/hr greaseball making comission off shit he sells you.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:18 PM
asianthug_ak47

best thing to do is to buy Honda/Toyota and do your own maintenance work. I heard shops and dealerships purposely do things to make you come back for more service. If shops are honest, it is hard to make a living servicing Honda/Toyota.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:10 PM
Intrepid241

Not all shops are looking to trick you. Don't get me wrong, there are idiots who do try to screw you, so look out for that. As for a transmission flush DON'T do it. Never flush. Drain and re-fill it about 3 times. Flushing washes tiny metal fragments into your gears and thats not good.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:36 PM
dockersguy

Your friend changes his ATF every time he does an oil change? Isn't that a little excessive? I would just change the ATF at every 30k miles. If the ATF needed to be changed more often than that, then I'm sure your local "honest" Jiffy Lube would be knocking at your door step. By the way you can kinda check the condition of your ATF by looking at the color and the odor it gives off. Take a wiff of your ATF dipstick. If it smells burnt, then you need to change your ATF. The color should be red/pink. If it's anything else, then it's time to change.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:20 AM
strykernyc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i swear i though u were supposed to change the ATF every 10k miles or every yr and with honda stuff. yeah i hate this @$$holes mechanics thinking they know about ur own car than u. i wanna change my ATF but i dont know how many bottles to buy? 5th gen 4cyl auto
Old 07-30-2004, 05:33 AM
asianthug_ak47

Originally Posted by Intrepid241
Not all shops are looking to trick you. Don't get me wrong, there are idiots who do try to screw you, so look out for that. As for a transmission flush DON'T do it. Never flush. Drain and re-fill it about 3 times. Flushing washes tiny metal fragments into your gears and thats not good.
honda consider the 3 drain-fill-drive repetitions a flush process. i know other place hook your tranny to some power compress air, which is a big no no. best thing is the do the 3 steps using 0W20 mobil 1 and fill up with actually honda atf at the end. the mobil 1 should be put into the engine so u won't waste money. the oil filter will filter out whatever got in it.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:36 AM
asianthug_ak47

Originally Posted by strykernyc
i swear i though u were supposed to change the ATF every 10k miles or every yr and with honda stuff. yeah i hate this @$$holes mechanics thinking they know about ur own car than u. i wanna change my ATF but i dont know how many bottles to buy? 5th gen 4cyl auto
owner manual is the first true reference. next up is the actual repair manual, which is written and edited by very highly skill people. those guys are there to sell books, so they really make sure it is a easy-to-it guide that is actually enjoyable.

like tupac said "i got mine, u got to get yours." so go get your own repair guide.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:20 AM
Mr Hyde
Accord Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
(02 accord I4 )

I remember changing my tranny fluid @ like 31,XXXk miles.
The local Lube place I go to told me my tranny fluid was dirty, and that they could flush it, clean it etc... for 100.00 bucks.

I told the guy to kiss my ass cause the car was practically brand new and he said the fluid is dirty etc.....

I think he was just trying to rip me off cause when I asked him to let me see the fluid on the dip stick he started to stutter and I couldnt really understand him.

So I went and bought 5 bottles of ATF tranny fluid and did it myself.
Since I changed it @ 30k is it safe to go ahead and change it again now ( 60k)

My friend changes his tranny fluid on his TL every time he gets an oil change.
Is that safe to do?
I've noticed on the manual it states to change it like every 60k or so.
On my TL-S I did a partial change about once a year, or every other oil change. Doing it like an oil change and just removing the tranny drain bolt will only remove about 1/3 of the total fluid (3 quarts, on my car, it was 2.5 on my 4 banger Accord), so thats why I did it so often. Since the car was already jacked up for the oil change,it only added like 10 extra minutes.
If you want to do a full flush instead, every 30k is a good interval.
P.S. Only use Honda ATF.

The TL-S / The 540i
Old 07-30-2004, 01:04 PM
Jehu

Default Tranny Fluid on manual 92 accord exr

Hi,

How often should the "manual transaxle fluid" be changed?
same thing as ATF? I know u have to lift the car to even check the fluid level cus there is no dipstick for it and its checked via a bolt under the engine