Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

EGR Solenoid Valve?

Old 07-28-2004, 08:32 AM
mohamed_ibrah
Tech in Training

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR Solenoid Valve?

In reference to this post I didn't realize that autozone rents vaccum gauges so I rented one yesterday and started doing some diagnostics. The egr lift valve is functioning I know that, caz I barely applied 5 in Hg, and the car stalled (8 in Hg is max), so that's working properly. But the hose to the EGR has no vaccum, nor does it hold vaccum when I applied vaccum to it (this would be hose #16 in the helms manual). Started checking the lines (the routings to the solenoid) and no leaks that I can see, checked the electrical at the EGR (popped a fuse in the process as the stupid DMM had the positive lead in the wrong spot) and there is a signal to the solenoid (measured by 5V), but since there is no vaccum, plus the car doesn't surge (no irract idling), so I don't think the ports are clogged, can it in fact be the solenoid? Yah I was supposed to pull off the bottom hose off #2 valve assembly and check for vaccum just didn't want to yank out my tools to get the solenoid out and do that, but here's also why I didn't want to do that (just because I was tired and I need to lay down), before when I used to shutoff the car, I could hear that solenoid valve release the built up vaccum, and there was no such action. I have a big feeling it is that solenoid valve...what do you techs think? Especially considering that my idle takes forever to drop down to specs.