Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Probably a really dumb H22 question

Old 07-27-2004, 07:01 AM
SleepinTR1
Just an average guy...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Probably a really dumb H22 question

Is it basically a fact that there will eventually be no way to get a "new" H22 engine?

I was thinking about doing an H22 swap in about a year or two but figured that by then I wouldn't be able to get an engine worth buying.
I mean, I guess I'm wondering what kind of options I would have in say 1 year or so for a 2000 Accord LX (friggin' ULEV) 5spd. The car has 111.5K miles on it, but is now paid for. I want to be able to look into turbo'ing it and everything, but I'm wondering if time is really just taking away all options. I figure I can't do anything really with such a high mileage engine, and all the H22's are just getting older and older... not like I can drop in a 7th gen engine (can I?)

Any light?
Old 07-27-2004, 01:00 PM
Human Hybrid

I would figure in a few years, maybe the K series motor swaps will be really popular? I'm not sure if it is now, but no one in my area really ever considered or talked about it. Probably cause of $$ but maybe later it will be as common as any other swap....
Old 07-30-2004, 10:09 AM
dresden_k
RIP H22A-CB7 :(

Well that car is on the heavy side. It might be better off to stick with your engine now and rebuild for turbo. That's what I might do...
Old 08-01-2004, 07:03 PM
qtiger

H22 engines will likely continue to be the most popular swap. The K24 would be a nice engine to have as well, but most of the modders are currently working on kits to install those in Civics, which have always been the lifeblood of Honda tuning (and therefore earn them the most cash).

In a couple more years the new engines will likely spread to other platforms, but in pure performance per dollar, I think the h22 will continue to be the best bet for Accords.

You could always buy and rebuild an H22 before you install it, with little downtime. Whether or not you'll be able to safely turbo your existing engine or the H22 depends on the health of the individual engine. 115K isn't too bad so long as you've maintained it well.