Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

92 Cx 1.5L with 96 1.6L head questions

Old 07-24-2004, 01:34 PM
Gocartracer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Cx 1.5L with 96 1.6L head questions

O.k people I am new to the forum and I have a problem
I blew the head gasket on my 92 1.5L 8 valve cx hatch.
I planned on going turbo so I used the cometic HG and was able to pick up a low mileage 1.6 16 valve head which bolted up with no problem.
Its not the vtec but it did make the car quicker. However I seem to have a slight stutter under low rpm's and when the car is running for a period of time it seems to backfire and become even more sluggish.
I am using the distributer off the 96 just had to re-wire and it seemed to help out.
I upgraded the radiator to a PWR...new plugs/wires/timing belt and am using the stock ecu.
I want to solve the problem before I add the turbo so as not to blow up the engine so any info or help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:10 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

Man, my old hybrid was a CX, I couldn't wait to tear that motor out (I still have the head sitting in my closet, someone was going to buy it then never sent me any money). I'm guessing part of the problem is the stock CX ECU, it's only designed to make 70 hp on an engine with only 8 valves, so the timing and fuel maps are completely different than what your new 16v head needs. I would consider swtiching over to a '92-'95 DX/LX ECU and seeing what that does for you. The ECU's have very little value to their old owner and you can probably get one real cheap, make sure you get for a manual car though, an auto one will always throw a check engine light (it will just assume the transmition is failing to respond when it's simply not there). If you still have the old distributor, you might consider swapping that in and trying that. As far as I know, all D-series distributors are the same and should work fine. I'm assuming you've checked the timing and it's right where it needs to be.

To be perfectly honest with you, the gearing of a CX tranny is garbage. I don't know how many miles you have on your block and if the deck warped at all when the old headgasket blew, but I would consider sh!tcanning the whole shebang and go shopping for a nice SOHC VTEC D16Z6 from a '92-'95 Civic EX (or Si hatchback) and just starting with that engine as your base for the turbo. Shop around enough and you can probably find a complete, longblock/tranny/axles and ECU combo for less than $500 (maybe even from a local wrecking yard if you get lucky, people have wrecked a lot of Civic's over the years). It will give you a solid foundation for everything, the extra compression and performance of a VTEC engine and best of all, a VTEC tranny with it's more aggressive gearing. Longer gearing is desirable for a high boost, high hp buildup as your basically just not shifting as often, but more aggressive gearing = faster, traction limited (unless your planning to sleeve the block and run new internals, the shorter gearing is what you want). Just something to consider, I don't know what your budget is for this project and whatnot. I'd try the old distributor and see if you can find a DX ECU just to try (any buddies have civic's?) to see if you can get the other engine to smooth out.

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.
Old 07-25-2004, 01:32 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by Andy
all D-series distributors are the same and should work fine.
D-series distributors did change bolt patterns over time. I helped one of the guys on this site bolt up an 88-91 DX pattern head (basic 16V) to his CX, and his distributor bolted to that. I know the pre-88 (and pre-90 Integra) D distributors are completely different, and the Y8 supposedly has a different pattern then the Z6... I would assume the rest of the 96+ are the same.

If you plan to turbo, trash the CX block now. It is worthless, and won't hold up to any decent amount of boost. If you live near me I'll take it off your hands for free (to have a shortblock to play with) to keep it from being junked.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:38 AM
Gocartracer

What would be the ecu code to look for since there are a few in the yard by me. Also would the ecu from a 96 that the head came from work?
My original ecu went out and was replaced by the shop that sold me the car.
So I may actually be running the other ecu and not know it. I think it says p06 and I can get a p23 would that maybe work?
Also as for the turbo this is just a run around car and I know that this will hold up to 10 psi with no problem and thats really all I plan on boosting.
My Neon runs 10 psi on the street and so far I have taken it up to 18psi and know my setup can handle over 20 psi so again I am not looking to go crazy with the honda just have some fun.
Thanks
TW
Old 07-25-2004, 12:11 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by Gocartracer
Also would the ecu from a 96 that the head came from work?
No.

The rods in the CX block are about as thick as toothpicks, I wouldn't trust them with any boost. If that bottom does blow, at least it's cheap to replace... a D15B7/8 bottow is only worth $50 at best.
Old 07-25-2004, 05:24 PM
Gocartracer

Well I am assuming that the block from my 92 cx is the same block as the 96 sohc 16 valves engine. the d16y7.
My buddy ran 10 psi on stock internals using a t3/t4oe on his 96 hatch. Only blew the hg when he decided to go up in psi.
I also just put in the dx ecu and the car does seem to be running better.
Also off hand is the gap on the plugs different from the 96 and the 92 sohc?
Thanks again for the input and help.
Old 07-25-2004, 05:49 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by Gocartracer
Well I am assuming that the block from my 92 cx is the same block as the 96 sohc 16 valves engine. the d16y7.
No, your block is a lot weaker then the 1.6 D series versions.

I don't know the gaps, that's more of an emissions thing.