Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

help me keep my hybrid - emissions!

Old 07-21-2004, 09:04 AM
purplx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me keep my hybrid - emissions!

Alas, vehicle emissions are up for my car and I have a CEL for the knock sensor. The emissions folks apparently won't look at it if it has a CEL. If can get past this, then I think I can wing the sniffer test and all that.

So, I decide to poke around and check my wiring since I replaced the KS already (last year), but am still throwing a code. I didn't do my swap, so I have to trace a few wires. This is what I found (see attached photos for more clarity).

Preface (using Haynes and Honda Shop Manual for help)-
the pnk/blu wire is the IAB wire which is cut/split at the driver's shock tower harness connector
the red/blu wire is the Knock Sensor (KS)
the org wire is the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)
(my wires change colors since wiring was added to get from ECU to said destinations, so I had to trace a couple different colors for one thing...)

KS (red/blu) at ECU is connected to the pnk/blu wire at the driver's side shock tower. This wire then disappears into a bundle of wires which goes beneath the intake manifold. (Picture 2)

VSS (org) at ECU appears to be connected to red/blue wire on the passenger's side shock tower. (? red/blu =KS, right?) (picture 3/4)

At the the driver's side shock tower, the other end of the pnk/blu cable is connected a yel/bl wire on the passenger's shock tower (which according my Haynes says it's the IAB again). (picture 1)

I'm wondering if the my KS and VSS were wired incorrectly by mistake. Also, if you're in MD/DC and can help a Baltimorean out, please PM me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00465.JPG (167.7 KB, 25 views)
DSC00466.JPG (181.9 KB, 23 views)
DSC00467.JPG (167.7 KB, 15 views)
DSC00468.JPG (186.4 KB, 18 views)
Old 07-22-2004, 03:26 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

Short on time but here you can see where I snipped my wire to run for the knock sensor (this was a '95 B18C1 USDM with the GS-R harness plugged inot a '92 CX). This picture is the passanger side strut tower.

The other 2 wires are for the GS-R EVAP. One goes to a swtiched 12v source (I spliced it into B1) and the other runs to A20 (maybe double check that, it's been a while). I'll try to get back on later, but I have to run right now.
Attached Images
wire003.jpg (57.1 KB, 27 views)
wire006.jpg (56.4 KB, 26 views)

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:44 PM
purplx

Andy, thanks! I'll definitely have some time tomorrow evening to poke around at it. I haven't been on the board in a while, but I remember your posts from back in the day. Always very helpful.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:23 AM
purplx

fixed... the knock sensor was pinned to B3 instead of D3. No more CEL for now!
Old 07-31-2004, 11:18 AM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

Cool, glad you got it fixed, hopefully now it will pass the sniffer test without any problems. Glad it's working for you.

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:55 PM
purplx

WooHoo! Andy, it passed! Barely passed the hydrocarbons, but it passed. Now it's time to do some stuff and prepare early on reducing the hydros for the next test in two years...