Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

jdm b18c(gsr) swap into 97 civic, obd1 or obd2

Old 07-10-2004, 12:11 PM
aZnjCC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jdm b18c(gsr) swap into 97 civic, obd1 or obd2

So I'm pretty much settled on doing a b18c (sir-g, jdm gsr) swap into my 1997 HX cvt, so the swap will also involve the auto to manual swap. I'll be having a shop do it, haven't decided where yet, but heavily leaning torwards autolink

My main question is that it seems as though obd2 b18c motors are rare. All the shops I've talked to have 94-95's on hand, but I will have to wait for getting a motor that's 97 or newer. Should I wait for a 97+ motor to pop up? or should i just go ahead and have the 94-95 obd1 swap?

Is there any particular reason to stay obd2, with my year or newer motor? I figure I would only do that if I was going to BAR the motor. But I doubt I will be doing that. Remember, the shop is doing my swap, so the ease of staying with obd2 is not really an issue. However, are there any hassles that would come from going to obd1 that I'm not aware of?
Old 07-10-2004, 04:41 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

Converting back to OBD I is relatively simple procedure if you use a conversion harness. The biggest problem is it's not legal to have a motor that is older than yoru car in California so you will never pass emissions testing. Also, I believe they hook up to your OBD II diagnostic port when they do emissions testing so if your have an OBD I ECU, that port won't work and you won't pass anyway. OBD2 motors aren't really rare, they're just aren't any JDM one's. People wreck '97+ Integra's all the time, you just have to be patient. I'd personally wait and just get legal engine for your car.

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:43 PM
aZnjCC

i keep hearin there are no obd2 jdm b18c's(gsr). but i know damn well that there are. can anyone clear this up for me?