Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

b18c1 to b18c5??

Old 07-09-2004, 10:39 PM
gsr_da

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b18c1 to b18c5??

ok i'm fairly new hear. I purchased my gsr about a month ago and I don't know a whole heck of a lot about internal upgrades on b-series engines. I have a couple of friends who own gsr's w/type r internals, pistons, valvetrain, cams. I am looking to put some type r internals on my engine. I have no idea where to start though. A lot of people tell me to start by putting a type r intake cam in. I wish that I could afford to throw a c5 swap in, but my budget will only allow to build up my gsr over time. I would like to, eventually over time, turn my c1 into a c5. What are the differences between the c1 and c5 besides the tranny? Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:27 PM
Civic2Scooby

tranny, pistons, rods, crank, intake manifold, slightly different head, factory port and polish, cams, valves, springs...etc etc
Old 07-10-2004, 01:45 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Type R guts are great and all, but your engine will be better if you used aftermarket components. Keep your P72 head, get some more aggressive cams and springs, and higher compression pistons.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:47 PM
gsr_da

So pretty much, you have to overhaul the whole engine with type r internals. I was wondering if taking a b16 head and p&p it, with type r cams, valves, springs, ect, would this be somewhat equivalent to an itr head? If so, would it be better to do it this way, or purchase an itr head? Also, I have read a lot about people's engines smoking out after replacing internals. Is this common? I am afraid to spend all this money on pistons, rings, rods, and crank if there is a 50/50 chance of the engine smoking. Any info would be great, thanx.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:42 PM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by gsr_da
So pretty much, you have to overhaul the whole engine with type r internals. I was wondering if taking a b16 head and p&p it, with type r cams, valves, springs, ect, would this be somewhat equivalent to an itr head? If so, would it be better to do it this way, or purchase an itr head? Also, I have read a lot about people's engines smoking out after replacing internals. Is this common? I am afraid to spend all this money on pistons, rings, rods, and crank if there is a 50/50 chance of the engine smoking. Any info would be great, thanx.
if you do it right then no it will not smoke. the b16a head with a good pnp will flow better than a stock type R head.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:13 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by gsr_da
I was wondering if taking a b16 head and p&p it, with type r cams, valves, springs, ect, would this be somewhat equivalent to an itr head?
That's exactly what an ITR head is, and a complete waste of money in your case. Build a valvetrain more aggressive then ITR/CTR parts with aftermarket parts. You'll be faster and save money in the long run.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, you don't need to be that fast yet.