Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Some hybrid questions

Old 07-07-2004, 11:44 PM
theguy386
I am tehguy... OH YEAH!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some hybrid questions

Ok, Ive been whoring teh internet for a while and Ive been seeing some weird things on swaps, but not really cold-hard fact. I did a 97 B18C1 swap into my 95 civic EX. The thing is, I used the harnesses that had already came on the engine and I was kinda left over with some plugs. Was I supposed to use the harness from the GSR or the old one from my car (D16z6)?? Also, Ive been seeing that you have to sometimes wire up youre knock sensor and your IAC; my car had VTEC so I dont have to worry about that. Did I have to do any wiring??
Old 07-08-2004, 06:30 AM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is your check engine light on? '96+ Integra's are OBD II and have a few extra wires and plugs on their engine harness for the extra sensors (specifically I know there's a crank position sensor down by the crank pulley and a 2nd O2 sensor in/behind the cat). If your using an OBD I ECU (which you would have to for it to plug into in-car harness down by the footwell) it doesn't care if those sensors are hooked up or not, it doesn't use them or really know they exist. Since your car was an EX, it was already wired for VTEC but there are wiring changes you do have to make. DOHC VTEC engines have higer compression ratios and require premium gas, so they include a knock sensor to protect the engine if you run low octane fuel. Your EX didn't have one so the wires don't exist and have to be added. A B18C1 also uses a dual stage manifold that requires some wiring that isn't included in an EX harness and must be added.

What ECU are you using? You can check the operation of your IAB's (the dual stage manifold) but warming up the engine and then having someone rev the engine to ~6000 rpm (you shouldn't rev and engine past 4000 rpm till it's fully warmed up). You will see the little sauscer looking diaphram attached to the drivers side of the manifold open and close when you pass 5400-5500 rpm. If it doesn't move, your wiring isn't complete. With my '92 CX/B18C1 swap, all I had to do was move the wire from A20 to A17 and the IAB's worked (the wire on the Integra harness exists on the Civic in-car harness but it's used for something else). If your using a P72 Integra ECU, you probably have a check engine light if the wire for the knock sensor was never added. If your using a chipped P28 to control the engine, it might not be able to use a knock sensor and thus won't care if it's hooked up or not.

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.