Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Oil Cooler on b18a1?

Old 07-06-2004, 11:40 PM
01h22lude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Cooler on b18a1?

Hey guys, I don;t have my car to look at here... 90 crx with b18a1. Does it have an oil cooler? Would it be worth it to put one on if it doesn't? Or would that even work....
Old 07-07-2004, 09:35 AM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

I think only the DOHC VTEC's have an oil cooler and it's a water cooler at that. Basically it threads between the oil fitler and the block and has engine coolant pumped through it. I'd imagine it's better than nothing but pumping 160-180 degree coolant past the oil can't cool it that much. They make adaptor plates that go where the stock oil cooler (or just between the filter and block if you don't have one) that you can run braded hose off of to small air cooled oil cooler you can mount in the front of the car and then run back to the filter (some even let you relocate the oil filter to make changing it easier and allow for a larger more effective filter). In an extremely modified engine pushing a lot of extra power, anything that helps keep the engine cool is a good thing. For a mildly modified street engine that's running just fine without one, it's really not nessicary and you do run the extra risk of a hose failing and loosing all your oil pressure.

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:32 AM
01h22lude

thanks for all that, i really apprecite it!
Old 07-07-2004, 08:41 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

Sure thing. I remember reading an article by one of the old hybrid-pref.org (or whatever) site about them installing a remote oil filter kit and a front mounted air cooler. They used the adaptor plate where your normal oil filter would be that blocked it off and had 2 AN fittings. They ran 2 large braided hoses out the drivers side of the engine and down to where the windshield washer tank normally would be in the front fender in front of the tire. They had a distribution block that allowed them to attach a big racing oil filter and I believe they also had an oil pressure sensor tapped in. It then ran to the front to a small oil cooler and then back to the engine and back into where the oil filter normally sat. A solidly enginnered idea at least and I considered doing a similiar setup on my B18C1 if I ever saved up enough to build my motor for high output NA duty (I never did the car was smashed by someone who doesn't get stop signs mean stop). I would think something like that would be overkill for a mild street engine.

Old 07-08-2004, 09:48 PM
01h22lude

yeah, i would agree. im just a lil over 11:1, only around 210 hp..... at the flywheel, so.... great info on that! i appreciate it a lot! right now im replacing bearings and crank.... oil pump went out, but caught it in time, so not too much damage. gives me an excuse for a new clutch and... a lot of other things too... keep talkin... might as well keep this post going... anything youd like
Old 07-09-2004, 06:18 AM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

If your running around with 11 to 1 compression, it might be a worthwhile investment to run some sort of oil cooler. That much compression will definately heat the engine up and stress it beyond what standard cooling can handle. A high performance radiator (I had a fluidyne) is probably a good investment as well.

Hey, you wouldn't happen to be intersted in a clutch. I have a '95 GS-R tranny/axles/shift linkage and the clutchmasters stage 3 clutch and alumium flywheel out of my hybrid. I saved them (I sold the B18C1 long block, needed money) and was going to do a B20 swap into my '98 EX but I think I'm going to can that idea and sell the tranny off. I bought my '98 in '99 so I've had it 5 years now so I"m probably going to trade it in eventually and get something new. I'll have a harder time selling it with a swap and no dealership will give me extra for the trade because it has a different engine. Anyway, they have about 2000 miles on them. I installed the clutch, broke it in for about 700 miles (they recommend 500) and it was working great, easy to get started and easy on your leg and then some woman ran a stop sign and pulled out infront of me so I never got to really try it out. I have no idea what they're worth and I realize buying a used clutch sounds like a bad idea, but if your intersted I can get you pics (you can't even tell it was used) and I'll give you a good deal. Let me know.

Old 07-09-2004, 08:50 AM
qtiger

Just the R engines came with that oil cooler.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:46 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

The water cooler? I could have sworn my '95 B18C1 had one.

Old 07-09-2004, 07:54 PM
01h22lude

hey, i pm'd ya!