Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

OBD1------> OBD0 Swap??

Old 07-06-2004, 04:33 PM
mistacee
Zc powered ED9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD1------> OBD0 Swap??

I have my old motor (d15b) and tranny from my 93 Dx hatch and i wanna swap that into my 90 Hatch. This should be a direct bolt in correct?
Basically i am wondering if this swap will work,i am looking to just make my 90 hatch a good cheap reliable beater car,thats it.

What will i need/do in order to make the swap work?
Old 07-07-2004, 10:00 AM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

You'll have a few issues you need to be aware of. The '93 tranny won't work, '92+ Hondas use a hydrolock system to engage the clutch, pre '91 Civic's use a cable. You can reuse the stock '90 civic's tranny in it's place though. You'll also have an issue if the '90 Civic isn't an Si. '88-'91 non-Si Civic's use a dual port injection where you have a TB and 2 injectors mounted together that work like a fuel injected carb as opposed to multiport injection that has 1 injector per cylinder mounted down by the head. You could either swap over the intake manifold/fuel system from the '90's old engine onto the new one and make the '93 engine dual port injection or convert the cars wiring harness and computer over to '88-'91 Si specs (multiport injection) wtih an Si's ECU to control it. The '90's ECU will only control 2 injectors and the '93 ECU won't plug into the '90 in-car harness (there are adaptors available to use the '93 ECU but will still require a multiport conversion and the addition of several wires like O2 sensor and what not).

Simpliest way to do it, take the '93 long block and strip everything off it and install all the old sensors and wiring harness from the '90 engine, including the intake manifold and the like. It will make a little less power than it would converted to MPFI but it will still work like the old engine used to and allow you to continue to use the '90 ECU (this is all assuming you don't have a '90 Si). If your in the mood to do some grunt and hunting work, converting the car to MPFI and running an Si ECU would be a fun project assuming it's not your only car.

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:52 PM
mistacee
Zc powered ED9

Thanks for that thought out and detailed reply!!!

I just want it to be a good daily runner and no it is not a Si,so performance is not really an issue.
I have my 5th gen hatch,a 91 CrX,(possibly aquiring another one),so abundance of cars is not a problem.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:29 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

If you can afford to put the car down and work on it, I'd probably go with the MPFI and an SI ECU. A good daily runner with 110 hp will be more fun to drive everyday than a good daily runner with only 85. If you just want cheap and reliable, sticking with the DX (I'm guessing) DPFI.It's up to how much work you want to do (and are comfortable with, rewiring for additional injectors isn't complicated but not exactly like changing oil) and how much you want to spend. Let us know what you decide to do, I'm curious (I need a new project!).

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.