Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

'82 Civic wagon M1

Old 07-05-2004, 07:55 PM
Randall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '82 Civic wagon M1

I am working on my engine/trans, both of which are out and partially apart.
I noticed one lobe on the cam and a couple of rockers have deep scoring but almost fainted when I looked up the price for a new cam. I do have another head with cam, and the cam and rockers are in much better condition so I think I can simply swop the cam and those 3 rockers? Both cams have the same numbers in the castings, same engine etc anyway.

65k ago Honda rebuilt the original engine for me, bearings, seals, rings, and valve job since the belt was broken when I got it and the valves bent.

For some reason the head gasket blew within a few hundred miles, replaced under warrantee and replaced twice MORE under warrantee. Each time they checked the head, block, planned the head, all was in specs but kept blowing the gasket in one spot.
I seem to remember they said one of the head bolts was stripped.

Upshot was they acquired another engine I paid for the salvaged engine and shipping, they bit the loaner car rental costs for the 6 weeks I had it while they searched for an engine and did the warrantee work, and supposedly they were going to swop all the new parts from the original engine into the replacement.

So, 65k later on a car with 189k no problems whatsoever, but need a clutch and CV joints so that is what got me started on this latest.

I couldn't get the tranny out w/o pulling the engine, later figured one of those wierd expanding c clips you need some special tool for on the 5th gear housing bearing is what kept the tranny from coming out more than 1/2" before obviously not wanting to come off further.

So anyway I pulled the engine, no big deal, got the tranny off and am working on replacing the bearings and seals, but one bearing on the clutch end of the main shaft was missing several balls! Amazingly it still worked but had to have been way out of balance.
Looking at the main shaft it seems to have a little wear on the teeth andmaybe splines, but then I have no new one to compair it against. I'm thinking the bearing the way it was maybe has caused some additional wear on this main shaft if it had any wobble.

With a price of over $200 for a replacement I'm wondering if maybe the shaft will be okay and how to tell one way or the other to decide?

I'll replace the needle bearings on the counter shaft etc and maybe the bronze synchronizer rings might be a good idea? The rest of it should be okay.

On to the engine, as long as it's out I pulled the pan and cleaned it out and think the rod bearings would be a good idea to replace and are fairly cheap. I'm thinking with the fiasco with that shop, I'm wondering if they even did more than run a compression check on the replacement engine and it was ok and they left the old rings in and didn't bother honing the cy's and replacing the rings to save their costs.
So I'm thinking of pulling the head off and checking, and if need be de-ridge, hone and then replace the rings which also won't cost much.

I plan on keeping this car a long time, so when I pulled the engine I decided to clean up the engine compartment, take care of the minor rust by the battery holder and repaint the car, radiator and engine.
So far I've ordered and rec'd trans bearings from

http://www.autopartselect.com/

And they are genuine Honda parts, nice quality so I'll probably order what I need there even though the shipping time was on the slow side due to customs and distance, I'm in no hurry.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:11 PM
Randall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scan

Scan of the main shaft in part, not the greatest to judge by but might help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
gear.jpg (141.8 KB, 20 views)