Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

The real story on timing

Old 07-05-2004, 05:18 PM
dewboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The real story on timing

I've been reading people talking about doing their timing, and talking about using the red marks, or the white marks, or whatever....it seems like they aren't consistent, so I'm looking for someone who knows for real. I've got an '89 integra and I can't seem to get the timing right ever since I changed the belt. My crank pully doesn't have colored marks on it (or I'm too blind to see them). What it does have is three hash marks about 1/8" apart, and then two more that are about an inch from the first set. Kinda like:

l l l l l

Which of these do I line up with the mark on the timing belt cover while the cams are aligned. And then...what next? Timing light to set the distributor? I think it's out of whack too.

Advice??
Old 07-06-2004, 07:48 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine have 3 notches close together, the center one is bigger. Then off to the right is ONE more big one (not 2).

The single one all by itself is TDC, & it's usually painted white. The paint doesn't usually last 15 years... That's the one you use when you're checking camshaft timing.

The other 3 marks are for spark timing. They're at 16 (+/-2) degrees BTDC. Usually painted red, but...

So I bump this thread, hoping someone who owns an '89 might know why there's an extra mark??
Old 07-15-2004, 05:22 PM
PHiZ
BOOST GOD

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Mine have 3 notches close together, the center one is bigger. Then off to the right is ONE more big one (not 2).

The single one all by itself is TDC, & it's usually painted white. The paint doesn't usually last 15 years... That's the one you use when you're checking camshaft timing.

The other 3 marks are for spark timing. They're at 16 (+/-2) degrees BTDC. Usually painted red, but...

So I bump this thread, hoping someone who owns an '89 might know why there's an extra mark??
My 1993 d16Z6 in my Civic Si also has a total of five marks grouped three and two.

So am I correct in saying that the lone one (or two) marks, are supposed to line up with the notch on the lower timing belt cover?

-PHiZ
Old 07-19-2004, 07:45 AM
JimBlake

So you've got 2 marks sorta where you expect TDC to be? I guess that's for cam timing, but I'd like to see a Helm manual for your car. It should explain what those are instead of me guessing.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:33 AM
PHiZ
BOOST GOD

So you've got 2 marks sorta where you expect TDC to be? I guess that's for cam timing, but I'd like to see a Helm manual for your car. It should explain what those are instead of me guessing.
I did check the helms while doing it.
http://www.honda.co.uk/owner/CivicManual/pdf/6-24.pdf

It's pretty vague, and just says "align to the white mark," I have my suspicions, but don't know for sure if it's the group of three close together marks, or the lone one (or two) marks.

-PHiZ
Old 07-19-2004, 12:52 PM
JimBlake

When you're standing at the left fender, looking down at the pulley...
I bet the group of 3 is to the left, the group of 2 is to the right. In that case, it would be the group of 2 at the right. The pulley spins counterclockwise, and the group of 3 comes across the pointer first; they're before TDC.

I wish I knew WHY there's more than one mark for TDC. All of mine have only one.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:38 AM
PHiZ
BOOST GOD

When you're standing at the left fender, looking down at the pulley...
I bet the group of 3 is to the left, the group of 2 is to the right. In that case, it would be the group of 2 at the right. The pulley spins counterclockwise, and the group of 3 comes across the pointer first; they're before TDC.

I wish I knew WHY there's more than one mark for TDC. All of mine have only one.
Thanks, I was talking to a friend at autozone today, and he said something really obvious, but it made sense. Pull the spark plug, do the screwdriver trick to find TDC. AT which point, I should be able to figure out which set of marks I'm supposed to use, unless I'm like 10-12 degrees out of timing.

But your description is exactly right, so I dont' think I need to now. I may tray and take some pics, to show how far out of timing I am, and that I do indeed have two marks for some stupid reason.

-PHiZ