Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Just replaced oil pan and it's leaking!!!!

Old 07-02-2004, 09:46 PM
natedog437

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just replaced oil pan and it's leaking!!!!

I just replaced an oil pan on a 98 accord because the old one had a stripped out plug. The old oil pan seemed to be held on with silicone, and a few people that I talked to recommended that I use a gasket instead of silicone. I used a fel-pro rubber gasket that seemed to line up perfectly with the oil pan. I tightened each one pretty tightly until the rubber gasket was bulging out all around where it seals. I drove the car for a while, came back, and it was leaking really badly from the front the oil pan where I sealed it with the rubber gasket. The back wasn't leaking at all, but the front was leaking really bad. Did I overtighten the bolts? If so I couldn't have crushed the pan where it bolts up could I? I know that the rubber gasket won't go back to normal because I loosened the bolts and the gasket just stays in the same form that it is in. Was the gasket not suppose to spread all the way out like flatening a pancake? Is there any way I can fix it without taking the pan all the way off? Could I pull the front part down, and just spread a bead of silicone across the rubber gasket and then re-screw it on? Please help because this is a daily driver.

Thanks,

Nate
Old 07-02-2004, 10:18 PM
S2Kev

You should get the torque specs for the oil pan bolts. If it still leaks, then I would tighten the area of the bolts where it's leaking a little more.
Old 07-03-2004, 07:32 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Originally Posted by natedog437
I tightened each one pretty tightly until the rubber gasket was bulging out all around where it seals.
There was your mistake. Get another gasket, and don't go He-Man on it.

The torque specs for oil pan bolts is only in the neighborhood of 30 INCH LBS. If you bulge the rubber, it's over tight, the rubber's distorted, and it will leak like a do-it-yourself plumbing job.

Also, if you over tightened the pan, you run the risk of pulling the mounting holes of the pan higher than the gasket surface. The only fix for that is to take a flat hammer and knock them back down before you try again.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:03 AM
PHiZ
BOOST GOD

Anyone reccomend a sealant AND a gasket?
-PHiZ
Old 07-03-2004, 05:51 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Originally Posted by PHiZ
Anyone reccomend a sealant AND a gasket?
-PHiZ
NO.

Do not use sealant on an oil pan gasket made out of anything other than cork. The rubber gasket is made to swell, and sealant prevents that from occuring, almost ensuring a leaky seal.