Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

What to do w/ old engine

Old 06-28-2004, 03:07 PM
ExiledinIN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do w/ old engine

What do you do w/ the old engine after the swap (93 EX)? Call local junk yard???
Old 06-28-2004, 04:45 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

Mine's in my basement ('92 CX D15y8 8valve engine with 150k miles). I was going to tear it down and make things out of it (ash trays from pistons, lamp from the crank/flywheel) but I'm lazy. I did pull the head off to sell but the guy swore he sent me a money order and I never got it so it's just sitting in the closet.

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:48 PM
ExiledinIN

Yeah, that's why I'm not too interested in parting it out. Maybe, I will just do like you are doing. Make things out of the old engine parts...
Old 06-28-2004, 06:50 PM
TeHJuSTiN
NAM #0001

You've got a d16z6, I'm sure you could find some buyers for that.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:12 PM
ExiledinIN

I'm not too interested in working w/ a buyer to ship it and collect money. I'm leary of this as i hear stories of crappy buyers. Will junk yards or garages pay good money for them?
Old 06-28-2004, 07:38 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

Since your car was an EX, the D16Z6 SOHC VTEC is worth some scratch. I've heard of good low milage examples going for around $400-$500. It cost me a little above $200 to ship a B18C1 long block so factor that in if you plan to sell and ship it.

Your engine is also valueable as parts too, the ECU can be rechipped to carry a DOHC VTEC program to run a B16A or B18C1/5 and if someone's in the mood to suffer to learn, swapping a D16Z6 head onto on a non-VTEC block is a cheap hp upgrade (the lower compression of the non-VTEC engine combined with the longer gears of a non-VTEC tranny will result in a slower engine than a true D16Z6 swap but there's no teacher like experience, assuming it's not your daily driver). Sometimes selling used parts can be a nightmare (I was offered a late 80's pontiac boneville with a blown engine and some cash in exchange for my hybrid) but for the most part it goes smoothly if your honest, take lots of pictures and be patient. I really wanted a crankshaft lamp so I'm keeping my CX block (not that it was worth anything to begin with). Look through the 4sale forum on here for D16Z6 stuff and see what other people are asking for it and see if it's worth it to you to sell. I don't have any first hand experience but most local junkyards aren't interested in used engines and a local performance shop might grab it up for cheap if they know a buyer or maybe just to yank the wiring harness and ECU (harness is useful for a JDM engine or a US engine that has it's harness chopped up when the engine is pulled).

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:43 PM
Civic2Scooby

where in Indiana are you located...I would be more than happy to come pick it up if you are just gonna scrap it.
Old 07-03-2004, 11:36 PM
g2_teg_na
^ Visual Learner

if i had a little D series SOHC VTEC motor lying around, i'd buy a CRX and drop it in there or somethin. then sell it.