Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Rebuilding Distributor (1989 1.5l)

Old 06-27-2004, 10:44 AM
Team327

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding Distributor (1989 1.5l)

I am having distributor problems and was wondering how to rebuild one. The parts are pretty expensive. Housing approx 330, ignitor approx 100 and some other thing for about 100. How can I tell if I need a new housing? And how can I check the other components? I do have a Haynes manual, but it does not say how to check the housing. The car backfires and idles irradically. I have recently replaced all plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor. When I replaced the distirbutor cap and rotor, distributor started squealing loudly, now it just makes a low squeal all the time. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-27-2004, 07:32 PM
Team327

no one has any ideas?
Old 06-27-2004, 08:06 PM
cartuner

Make sure the cap and rotor are not rubbing against each other or against that plastic cover on the inside if your distributor has one. Chances are, if the squeling started after you change to new parts, you probably got wrong parts or maybe you didn't seat the plastic cover on the inside well, (if you have a plastic cover on the inside).
Most of the time when honda distributors go bad it's always the coil. Rarely does the ignitor or the sensors inside the housing.