Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Cryogenically Freezing... Your opinions?

Old 06-22-2004, 02:58 PM
01h22lude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cryogenically Freezing... Your opinions?

So I have a buddy that can do everything for free. I don't even have to pay for the gas. Is it really worth it to cryo everything? like right now, id be doing a crank, bearings, etc. I get such mixed reviews on this topic, I'm hoping something might come out of this. So, any opinon, fact, anything at all helps here. I need as many posts on this one as I can get, so don't be shy!

FYI:
built ls b18a1 in 90 crx si.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:31 PM
01h22lude

Aw, someone has to have something to say about it? Pretty please?
Old 06-22-2004, 10:58 PM
Civic2Scooby

bullshit...plain and simple
Old 06-23-2004, 06:33 AM
jakt
Let me just phanagle....

why is it bullshit? It makes sense to me.
jakt
Old 06-23-2004, 07:15 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

It's bullshit because he doesn't know what it does, or seen identically prepared race engines with and without it...

If you can do it for free, go for it.

Cryo treating doesn't magically increase the strength of a part, but what it does do is freeze a part so cold that the molecular composition of the metal shrinks, forcing tighter structure, and thus relieving any internal stress the part might have from slight density differences. As the part is allowed to warm back up, it returns back to it's original shape, but again, the internal stresses are relieved.

The benefit of this is having a part with no predisposition to breaking in a certain way under stress. With no predisposition, it's better able to cope with stress during engine operation, to a larger degree. The stress threshold of the part is the same as it was before cryo-treating, but there's no internal stress "adding to" that total, so you get a higher realized threshold.

Cryo treating is much like blueprinting, it's largely mis-understood by armchair engine builders, and dismissed as unnecessary, or "bullshit", but that's just fine for the rest of us that have seen more engines come apart in racing than most have even put together. Cryo-treating is starting to become like blueprinting in the engine building world, it's done so often that it's not even worth mentioning.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:35 AM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by 1stGenCRXer
It's bullshit because he doesn't know what it does, or seen identically prepared race engines with and without it...

If you can do it for free, go for it.

Cryo treating doesn't magically increase the strength of a part, but what it does do is freeze a part so cold that the molecular composition of the metal shrinks, forcing tighter structure, and thus relieving any internal stress the part might have from slight density differences. As the part is allowed to warm back up, it returns back to it's original shape, but again, the internal stresses are relieved.

The benefit of this is having a part with no predisposition to breaking in a certain way under stress. With no predisposition, it's better able to cope with stress during engine operation, to a larger degree. The stress threshold of the part is the same as it was before cryo-treating, but there's no internal stress "adding to" that total, so you get a higher realized threshold.

Cryo treating is much like blueprinting, it's largely mis-understood by armchair engine builders, and dismissed as unnecessary, or "bullshit", but that's just fine for the rest of us that have seen more engines come apart in racing than most have even put together. Cryo-treating is starting to become like blueprinting in the engine building world, it's done so often that it's not even worth mentioning.
oh crap...sorry...I thought this was the post about that "cryo" kit, where they put that co2 thing in your intake tubing and it is supposed to cool tha air as it goes into the motor and only lasts for a few seconds and crap....

reading > meh
Old 06-23-2004, 10:09 AM
jakt
Let me just phanagle....

Thank you 1stgenCRXer.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:35 AM
01h22lude

Default haha

ok, i thought u were ragging on me. i know what cryo is man. my best friends dad works for air liquide and has a 500 lb tank in his garage. so basically, do it, if its free. its a ncie thing to have, especially, for FREE. can do nothing but help correct? at least, thats what i get from reading. this isnt a kit, this is a real cryo job, in a huge tank, the right way
Old 06-24-2004, 08:23 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Most street engine builders will never see the benefit of cryo treating since the abuse just isn't there.

Like I said, if you can do it for free, go for it. Just make sure you support the parts in such a way that you can allow them to warm back up to ambient temp evenly, don't lay them on a table or anything like that. Hanging is usually best.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:48 AM
01h22lude

in this tank, everything can be placed in. up to 500 lbs, so im good to go. its lowers the temp using the nitrogen to 300 below i believe and goes by 1 degree a minute, holds it at the temp for a bit, then brings it back to room temp 1 degree a minute as well. im actually pretty excited because one, its free, and two, it can do nothing but help anyway. so thanks a ton for the info, if anyone else has something to say, please do! im all about getting all the opinons i can, or experiences, or anything, even ideas? at this point, ill be doing a crank, pistons, rods (2 sets of each, for future use), bearings, piston rings, and all my bolts etc. since what ill have apart is the bottom end. any other ideas, lemme know! or correct me if im wrong in any of these. would you have a header done? aftermarket dc i blieve. not for any real reason, but just to do it... cuz i can... hehehe *evil grin*