Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

DIY: Center armrest 88-91 civic crx

Old 06-11-2004, 10:18 AM
Redlinerz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY: Center armrest 88-91 civic crx

simple guide on how to install a integra armrest into a civic/crx .... hope this helps you out lsvtecking!!! (photos and directions courtesy of fourthgenhatch)

Tools/Parts
1 94-00 Acura Integra Center Console
+ Screwdriver
10mm Socket
Drill and Drill Bits
Epoxy
Soldering Iron
Extra Wire

Instructions
The pain of not having a cupholder is more than any 4G Civic owner should have to deal with. But there is a solution at last. You can install the same Center Console as an Acura Integra into your car for a lot cheaper and with more benefits than those damn Si Center Consoles that go for $200 each on eBay since they are so rare. The Integra Console not only separates the driver and passenger seat for a sporty cockpit look but it also features slide out cupholders of very good design, but only hold as large as a McDonalds Medium Soda, but Coke bottles can still squeeze in there. It also has an Armrest which can open up to a compartment which you can put all kinds of stuff in.

First of all you need to track down an Integra Console. You can search on www.thepartstrader.com or on www.ebaymotors.com or if you can't find one e-mail me at FourthGenHatch@aol.com and I will try to track one down for you. Going rate for these is about $100 shipped.

Once you have your console you will need to install it. Go inside your car and take out your old Audio Console, it comes out with 4 screws, 2 on the sides, on behind the glovebox (becomes visible when you open the glovebox, the other is on the other side. Pull that out and stick it aside. Next remove your old Center Console, it comes out with a few screws in the sides and some under plastic covers, you can figure this out, it's easy, you will have to remove your shiftknob though, remember that.

Now you car should be stripped down. What you are going to do now is separate the bottom of the audio console from the top. Look inside you should see some hook looking things, pry those off. I believe the two pieces are glued together so just pull hard enough and they should pop apart. Next you will want to line up the Integra Console to the top of the Audio Console. Mate them up, they line up pretty well. Next you can use those old stock screws and reuse them to attach these two pieces. If you look behind in the Console you will see 2 places where screws went, you can simply use those as a reference and drill through them to attach the two pieces. If you look in the picture above you can see the screws, they are exposed. Once you have drilled through that put screws in it. Now drill screws through the sides where you see fit, you can use the Integra Consoles clip things with the holes to line up. This is all hard to explain without pictures but I'm sure you can figure it out.

IMPORTANT: Your Cig Lighter will not work since the Integra and Civic wire harness is difference. It is easy to fix though. Cut the old Harness Clip off of the Civic Cig Lighter. Now just solder the black wires together to the black wire of the clip, and the red wires and or white wire together to the red wire on the clip. It will now clip and should work right. I added a long piece of wire to make it easier to to clip in since a short wire would of course be harder to do.

Once these are attached by screws you can put some Epoxy on the inside to hold it even more, just use a vice to hold it while it dries. After that is all dried and the screws are in take it out to the car and install it. You will have already noticed the Integra Console is actually two pieces. First stick the back piece with the Armrest on and press it as far back as it goes, you need to make room for the other piece which is hard to get on. Now do what you can do to get that other piece on, it's a tight squeeze and hard to do but it will go on. Once that is on screw it in, attach the shiftknob, then attach the two pieces of the Integra Console. Now you are pretty much done. You could screw in the Integra Console but the seats squeeze it tightly enough that it never moves for me so I didn't even bother.

Notes

If your cupholder doesn't slide well place some grease on the sides, it will be a lot smoother then. If you want your Cig Lighter and the Light inside the Ash Tray to work then you have to wire it up like I said before. I was told to make the reds with the red and the blacks to the blacks but my Console had 2 blacks, 1 red, and 1 white. So I just attached the blacks together and then the red and white together and it worked. My Light did come on but my Cig lighter doesn't work which would indicate it is broken, but I'm going to try to put in the Civic Cig Light into this Integra one and see if it works...