Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Piston removal

Old 06-04-2004, 07:24 AM
cvcsleeper
Boyashaka!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston removal

I'm going to send my b18c1 head out to get rebuilt (guides, seals) and while it was out, I was planning on changing my rings. I don't want to remove the block from the engine bay, so I'll do it from under the car. How difficult is it to knock the piston out, if the crank is still installed? I wouldn't want to damage the oil jets.

Also, when re-installing the rods, they don't specify this in the Helms manual, but I'm assuming oil must be applied to the rod bearings before reassembly?
Old 06-04-2004, 09:36 AM
cvcsleeper
Boyashaka!

Nevermind, I just realized that it would be simpler just to take the engine out or to get it done, cuz I would need to hone the cylinders.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:51 PM
civicon19s

and if your going to do all that, you might as well just do it right and rebuild/replace everything or just get a new motor..
Old 06-07-2004, 02:15 AM
NAR-SPEC.com

I would just get new pistons and rings (p73, p30's) or if you have the money.. get a forged pistons.

You'll get a slight bump in compression and a fresh motor too.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:56 AM
B20powered
You can't see me

Swapping rings isnt all that hard in the car. drop the oil pan and girdle. un bolt eht rods from the crank. unbolt the crank and drop it out. un bolt the oil sprayers. Get a friend for this. One person go under the car and the other take the wooden end of the hammer and push the piston out the bottom. have the person under the car try to not let it hit the ground. when you got your new rings on bolt in the sprayers and bolt in the crank. now make sure you put rubber caps on the end of the piston bolts so they dont scratch the crank. you will need a piston ring compressor to get them in. Make sure to torque eerytihng properly.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:39 AM
civicon19s

doing that sounds like a mother ****er!
Old 06-10-2004, 07:11 AM
DarkLightning

Hey, at least you can do it from down below.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:42 AM
Eddiebx

Originally Posted by B20powered
Swapping rings isnt all that hard in the car. drop the oil pan and girdle. un bolt eht rods from the crank. unbolt the crank and drop it out. un bolt the oil sprayers. Get a friend for this. One person go under the car and the other take the wooden end of the hammer and push the piston out the bottom. have the person under the car try to not let it hit the ground. when you got your new rings on bolt in the sprayers and bolt in the crank. now make sure you put rubber caps on the end of the piston bolts so they dont scratch the crank. you will need a piston ring compressor to get them in. Make sure to torque eerytihng properly.
which motor are you talking about that you can push the pistons out the bottom? cuz on the f and h motors i've worked on theres this lip so u can get it out the bottom, must go from up top. are the b-series different? i've never sat down and taken one of those apart before, hehe