Notices

Is the Accord Dead?

Old 05-18-2004, 05:45 AM
Daniel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the Accord Dead?

My brother called me to come pick him up. His 91ish Accord with 263,000 miles wouldn't drive right. I got in it and diagnosed a stuck accelerator. The throttle cable did not seem top be stuck but the pedal itself was giving some resistence.

I told him to drive it home and just apply a little pressure to the accelerator.

A few miles up the road, we are almost home, and all of a sudden the car starts laying a cloud of smoke out the exhaust. I flash my lights for him to pull over. He gets it parked and as I pull up I can hear it pinging off the rev-limiter.

Apparently, all of a sudden the RPM's just climbed to the top. He shifted to neutral with no effect. I again moved the throttlebody and could feel no resistence. I pulled on the accelerator to make sure it was not stuck and it would not come up any further. So, I started the car and it automatically just revs right up to redline. I shut the car off, and repeat. Same problem.

He also has done a lot of wiring work with a system he's put in. He's not a professional and his wiring probably has problems. His car has been having a lot of problems maintaining its electrical systems. The lights will dim tremendously at idle, his guages will blink randomly, his temperature gauge will suddenly climb to Hot and then down, its just a real mess.

Any ideas on the problem?
Old 05-18-2004, 06:49 AM
flyromeo3

I think its about that time when you take all your valuables out of your vehicle and contact the American Cancer Society and donate the car.

@ 263,000 miles I wouldnt expect this car to drive another 2 miles.
I saw a car on the highway last night that poofed white smoke from the muffler, next thing you know the shit is pulling over w/ the blinkers on.

Tune Up?
Old 05-18-2004, 07:30 AM
IamNemo
You know me...

I'd take it to a dealer if you can just for shits and giggles to see what exactly is wrong with it. It sounds like something's pretty screwed up, but if you can get the parts cheap and do the work yourself you might be ok.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:26 AM
ND120883

4th gen accord (1990-1993)??? Rip the garbage engine out, drop in a h22. its like 3000 after parts/labor if u get a good deal. Saving for it now myself.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:56 AM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds to me like your brother got some wires grounded really badly. As a result it may have sent a bad signal to the ECU and you may have a combo of bad wiring and an ECU that is on the verge of failure.

I would take it in and have it looked at but I doubt they are going to touch the wiring at all....for that I would run over to the local stereo shop or pull a homie hookup and get the wiring redone.

Has he had any problems with smoke smells coming from under the dash or the smell of electrical flash?
Old 05-18-2004, 11:56 AM
93EXaccord
Engines hate me!

Originally Posted by ND120883
4th gen accord (1990-1993)??? Rip the garbage engine out, drop in a h22. its like 3000 after parts/labor if u get a good deal. Saving for it now myself.
really the H22 is not all it cracks up to be, obviously you just found out about it... every body is like that at one time. but for a daliy driver the H22 is a gas hog and if you where ever looking at high speed cornering forget it... H22 great for drag. not a good idea for ever day car go f22a6 turbo
Old 05-18-2004, 12:08 PM
miedosoracing

I think it is the throttle cable. I think that the throttle isn't going all the way back to closed. Take off you intake and look at the throttle body. If it is open at all, that is your problem. You said the throttle wouldn't go without pushing harder. That wouldn't be an ECU I wouldn't think.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:41 PM
syclone

Originally Posted by Nightshade
Sounds to me like your brother got some wires grounded really badly. As a result it may have sent a bad signal to the ECU and you may have a combo of bad wiring and an ECU that is on the verge of failure.
:werd:

one of the power wires, or positive terminal of a speaker wire might also be loose touching the chasis of the car...

as for the throttle, that wouldn't really be an electrical issue.. check the pedal area to see if the spring is still intact.. you might have to grease it.. or the cable might be worn.. even within the jacket and might need replacing.. also, remove the intake tube and with the car off, move the throttle plate fully open to see if it's getting stuck..
Old 05-18-2004, 02:50 PM
Daniel

My dad was able to take a closer look during daylight. It would seem the added audio system was improperly grounded. The throttle cable seems to have conducted some voltage and melted. We replace it on Saturday. Thanks for the ideas! :thumbup: