Notices

Front tires wearing fast (inner)..help!

Old 05-17-2004, 07:47 AM
mykol Jay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front tires wearing fast (inner)..help!

So, I just had costco mount and reinstall my rims, and they said my my allignment was screwed up. The stock tires (15s) in the front had terrible wear to the inside. (They probably had less than 8K miles on them). The back ones were perfect. I'm really afraid of ruining my new tires.

So I used the search function, but most of the questions and answers dealt with rear camber problems, not front.

I currently have 215/45/17s with Eibach Sportline 1.75" springs.(Stock struts/no camber kits).

Can this be fixed with a simple wheel allignment job at PepBoys or do I need to add front camber kits? (Would I also need rear?)

I'm strapped for cash and was hoping to avoid shelling out 300 bux for camber kits installed.

Thanks for your quick replies, I need to have this done asap.

-Mykoljay
Old 05-17-2004, 08:18 AM
IamNemo
You know me...

yeah...you might want to look into a front camber kit. If your rear is fine then don't mess with it. Yu can find alot of front camber kits for around $75-$100 at the very most. They're VERY easy to install by yourself or with the help of a friend. Even though you aren't "slammed", 1.75" might be just enough to throw you off.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:19 AM
flyromeo3

Yep...sounds like u need a front camber kit.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:22 AM
mykol Jay

is it okay just to have front cambers? and not rear?

so you wouldn't recommed an allignment job as well?

anyone know how to install these? instructions? special equipment?

Thanks for those quick replies!

-mykoljay
Old 05-17-2004, 08:30 AM
azian21485

have your shop do an allignment check to see how much negative camber you have..that'll help you decide which kit you want to use..companies usually provide two kits..one with a small degree of adjustment and one with only large degrees of adjustment...i'm dropped the same as you and have -1.6 on the right and -.8 on left withought me sitting in it just to give you an idea so...
Old 05-17-2004, 10:04 AM
IamNemo
You know me...

No special equipment. Use the search function to look for some instructions. Use "camber kit install" and you should find plenty of results. After you istall them, go get that sucker aligned. The people at the shop should know how to work with those kits. And it's plenty ok to run JUST front kits. Alot of the time the rear camber doesn't need work at all.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:30 AM
syclone

i highly doubt it's a camber issue.. the front doesn't really camber in until you go beyond 2.4"

i'll bet that it's simply your toe is out of wack.. you should get an alignment. with the inner part being as worn, you probably have toe out.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:35 AM
AccordSE

Originally Posted by syclone
i highly doubt it's a camber issue.. the front doesn't really camber in until you go beyond 2.4"

i'll bet that it's simply your toe is out of wack.. you should get an alignment. with the inner part being as worn, you probably have toe out.
that called a camber problem. all you need to to do is buy a front camber kit. And the front doesnt camber if you dont go beyond 2.4 is totally false. I dont know where you got that from.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:38 AM
mykol Jay

this has been very helpful, now a bit confusing. Anyone else have any experiences or thoughts? I think I'll bring it in and ask their opinion, but I never trust shops.
Old 05-17-2004, 02:06 PM
jschmid

Originally Posted by AccordSE
that called a camber problem. all you need to to do is buy a front camber kit. And the front doesnt camber if you dont go beyond 2.4 is totally false. I dont know where you got that from.
He's right that 6th gen Accords don't really have camber out of spec until you get about 2.5" up front. I have a 2" drop up front, no camber kit, and it's still within the specs.

And yes...toe out of wack will eat up tires faster than camber out of wack.

Just because the inner is wearing faster doesn't always mean it's a camber problem.

Quick Reply: Front tires wearing fast (inner)..help!