Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Civic Flywheel/Clutch Install (58 pics)

Old 05-18-2004, 07:17 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bumnah
to this day i do not understand why people pull the speend sensor to fill up the tranny, especially when they have the filler bolt out.

why? why? fill it up from the top?
The filler bolt is not the drain bolt. h:

The filler bolt is just behind the pass. side axle and you have to use that injector tool to get it in. It's a messy and annoying job.

I've found it SO much easier to remove the 1 10mm (2 on the Bseries trannys) bolt and just fill 'er up from the top.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:05 PM
Bumnah
So OG it hurts.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when you say check bolt i take it you are referring you the filler bolt you remove to check the level of the tranny. because you should feel fluid on the bottom tip of your finger when you reach in the filler bolt.

you can't check the fluid of the tranny from the drain bolt (the one you put the rachet directly on) since the fluid drains from the drain bolt.

so now i've heard of people removing the filler bolt, AND the speed sensor to fill the tranny fluid through the speed sensor and let it pour out of the filler bolt. that makes absolutely no sense to me.

i mean seriously. i've used a funnel with a tube for years. not issues at all.

frankly i've seen 2 speed sensors break when removed.

i advice you use the filler bolt to fill the tranny.

also have the car level will filling the tranny, if the front's jacked up, fluid comes out of the tranny before it's actually full.

it's also not a bad idea to replace the washer on the drain bolt when you do it.
-----
Old 05-19-2004, 08:46 AM
HatchVX
Driving a Turbo 2L Terror

great write up. I use the vent hole on top of my tranny, to fill it.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:44 PM
s1ngle
clutch slipping boost

bow down to westcoast! this is going to be bookmarked for sure!
Old 07-05-2004, 07:23 PM
Randall

Wow AWESOME pictorial and instructions!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2004, 07:16 AM
v8guy
Professor

Originally Posted by b16aEGcivic
great write up...I am doing my buddies clutch right now, and I figured out a couple steps to get by a few things...such as, I did not have to remove the axle nut, ball joints, or the spring pin...didnt have to touch them...there is a much easier way to get the hub to swing away and the axles out. It prob. shaved a couple hours off the clock, at least judging from how long it took to get my spring pin and axle nuts off when I did my swap....buttt great diy :goodjob:
Care to elaborate????????

BTW never use a pickle fork to remove a ball joint you plan on reusing if you can help it. They tend to screw them up. My set sits in the drawer and collects dust. The proper way to remove a ball joint is to undo the nut and smack the side of the spindle until the ball joint simply falls out.

As for working on automobiles barefoot or wearing sandals. Just because you did something stupid several times without getting hurt doesn't make it a good idea. Thats like having sex without a condom.

Thanks for taking the time to photodocument your swap. I'm sure a lot of people will find it quite useful.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:21 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Originally Posted by v8guy
Care to elaborate????????

BTW never use a pickle fork to remove a ball joint you plan on reusing if you can help it. They tend to screw them up. My set sits in the drawer and collects dust. The proper way to remove a ball joint is to undo the nut and smack the side of the spindle until the ball joint simply falls out.

As for working on automobiles barefoot or wearing sandals. Just because you did something stupid several times without getting hurt doesn't make it a good idea. Thats like having sex without a condom.

Thanks for taking the time to photodocument your swap. I'm sure a lot of people will find it quite useful.
NP, thanks for the dissection of my methods. :goodjob:

I just love the people that come out here and tear apart DIYs, but don't post any themselves.... interesting... h:
Old 07-06-2004, 08:24 AM
v8guy
Professor

Originally Posted by westcoaststyle
NP, thanks for the dissection of my methods. :goodjob:

I just love the people that come out here and tear apart DIYs, but don't post any themselves.... interesting... h:
Sorry, I didn't mean to come off like that. I figured I'd add in a helpful hint. Sorry if you took offense. That was probably the best-documented DIY I have ever seen. It belongs in a FAQ someplace or at least a sticky.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:54 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Thanks for the clarification and I appreciate your input.

I apologize for my reaction and I see your point.

thanks for the props too.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:17 PM
v8guy
Professor

NP great thread and a big help for anyone doing this job. I wish I had something like this to refer to when I did my clutch and axles in my CRX. My friend has Alldata, but that is nothing like having a step-by-step with nice clear photos. A big TTT for this thread.

Quick Reply: Civic Flywheel/Clutch Install (58 pics)