Notices

Mods

Old 05-15-2004, 09:09 AM
twixster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mods

Hey, i my aunt is giving me her 1992 Honda Accord Lx Coupe and it is completely stock and i want to know what mods can be done safely and cheaply to increase the performance of this car. It does not have that many miles on the tranny or engine so i don't really want to swap it out, yet. Also i was wondering if anyone could give me an idea as to the stock 0-60 times for this car seeing as how i don't have it yet.

Also, i was wondering what can be done to the out side that would not require it to be repainted (I like the current color). Also, in keeping with the cheap theme (i am currently in college and i don't have a large amount of money to put into this car at the moment) what kind of amp and sub would go well with the Sony CDX-F5705X.
Old 05-15-2004, 12:56 PM
phat99accord
BMW Tech

As performance wise everyone will say either get Cold air intake, header and exhaust. or they might tell you to save up money for a turbo kit. Also one of the first things to do is suspension. drop it about 1.5-2.0 inches it will handle alot better.

as for the amps and subs depends on what u want and what kind of music you listen to. if you want loud bass 2 12's possibly alpine type r's. if you want something less just to fill the missing sound then go with one 10". amp wise you have a slew of choices just match up the power ratings with the subs and you will be set
Old 05-15-2004, 06:21 PM
twixster

Default Cool

Where would i go to find these items? I am a noob and trying to get into this slowly.
Old 05-15-2004, 06:44 PM
IamNemo
You know me...

There's a wonderful thing......it's called the SEARCH FUNCTION. PLEASE use it and be a good noob!

Go to www.crutchfield.com for audio stuff, they've never steered me wrong.

Performance-wise, go get a cold air or short ram intake. It'll give you a nice sound when you rev up and bossts your hp by 5-10. Then drop your car about two inches (that's what our cars need to look good). Learn how to do the work yourself because nothing sucks ore than getting forked on labor charges.

Just wondering, what kinda miles does it have on it? Color? Coupe or 4-door? I own a 4th gen, so I'm always interested in what all the other 4th gen owners have.
Old 05-15-2004, 06:53 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

Originally Posted by twixster
Hey, i my aunt is giving me her 1992 Honda Accord Lx Coupe and it is completely stock and i want to know what mods can be done safely and cheaply to increase the performance of this car. It does not have that many miles on the tranny or engine so i don't really want to swap it out, yet. Also i was wondering if anyone could give me an idea as to the stock 0-60 times for this car seeing as how i don't have it yet.

Also, i was wondering what can be done to the out side that would not require it to be repainted (I like the current color). Also, in keeping with the cheap theme (i am currently in college and i don't have a large amount of money to put into this car at the moment) what kind of amp and sub would go well with the Sony CDX-F5705X.
Being in college with money tight, avoid engine mods.
I'd say go with suspension mods from www.tirerack.com or www.shox.com

The car will likely need: new shocks, get a cheap set from above and some nice springs like an Eibach or H&R, I wouldn't go too low. You don't really need a Koni adjustable either.

I'd get some upgraded brake pads too like Hawk or Satified Pros, not only is it a maintnence item but it will improve the safty of the car.

Then I'd search for a nice wheel and tire combo.

And lastly if the car hasn't had a serious tune up in a bit, I'd get plugs wires and cap and rotor if needed on this car. Be sure you also don't need a t-belt or any gaskets fixed. It's a waste to mod a car in need of maintence first.

These mods should keep you plenty busy for now.

As for stereo mods Crutchfield is a great start but Ebay can really help you find cheap stereo stuff in not so bad shape if you know exactly what you want especially part no.
Old 05-15-2004, 08:17 PM
twixster

Default the car

As for the actual car specs

Honda Accord 1992 LX
Coupe
The light green color from honda which actually looks alright on the car.
37000 miles, Automatic (unfortunately)
stock everything
everything that was rubber has been replaced,
brakes replaced,
tires (replaced 6000 miles ago, rated for 80000)
spark plugs if they are the stock ones i will probably go ahead and replace them with ones like the ones in my dads suv because of there performance.
spark plug wires i am sure of original, i would like to replace them with blue spark plug wires.
it was a typical old ladies car as my aunt called it.

As for a cold intake, everything that i have read has said that they don't really do anything for a car. Also, mechanics that i know say that it might only increase the # of horses by maybe 2 or 3 but not really anything to call home about. One of my uncles has also told me that when he put one on his car all it did was make the engine compartment look better. Does anyone have any real proof?

Yes, i know about crutchfield, but i don't know what i should buy to put in it. So far i am looking at the Sony CDX-F5705X for a head unit, but i don't know what i should think about for the speakers or sub. I want to retain some of my trunk space and not use all of it for stereo equipment. I was wondering if any had any suggestions or comments about how certain systems performed, or any system for that matter. The only stereo that i have ever built by piece was one for my dorm room and i only spent 200 on the whole thing including receiver (not a dvd home entertainment system kit). I don't really know that much about stereos for cars other than the head units (receivers).

However, i did have an original plan for the stereo. I was going to build a small computer system powerful enough to play dvd movies, mp3 & visuals, temp and other miscellaneous information. The only reason that i had even thought about this was because of the mass amount of mp3's that i have stored. But this option became unpractical because of where i will be parking the car and the cost at which it will take to do this, when compared to the price and or worth of the car.

Thank you for your posts, any idea of a good turbo kit to save up for? and What exactly are the differences between the LX and the EX 1992 Accord and how much better is the one over the other?
Old 05-16-2004, 09:49 AM
IamNemo
You know me...

Between the EX and LX, engine-wise the EX has f22a6 while the LX has an f22a4 (I THINK). The only real difference is an EX has about 5 more hp. Also the stock manifold on an EX is essentially a 4-2-1 header. So if you're looking for a little bite of hp at a fairly cheap cost and don't want to go for headers yet, go to a junkyard, find a 4th gen EX and take the exhaust manifold off of it and put it on yours!

On the CAI thing, like I said it'll give you SOME hp but not much. I think I said 5-10 but it's around 3-5. It's SOMETHING and when it's used together with headers and a cat-back exhaust you see some decent gains. That's when it gets up around 15 hp. DRAG makes a turbo kit for our Accord but beyond that I'm not too sure. That's in my plans for a few years down the road. :naughty:

For speakers, I'm pretty partial to Rockford Fosgates. They can get a bit pricey, but they're worth it. Pioneer is another good one to look at, but only for stock size speakers. Their subs are less than perfect. I'd say that if you're just looking for some nice bass to fill out the sound a little more, go with a 10" sub in the back and some nice aftermarket speakers inside. The 10" won't take up a whole lot of room and you should get good response out of it. Actually, funny thing, right now I have my combo amp for my bass guitar in my trunk. It's a huge 15" single sub in a nice sized box with a small head. HEAVY AS F*CK AND HUGE TOO. I still have about half of my trunk space left. 4th gens have monster trunks. :thumbup:
Old 05-16-2004, 10:18 AM
kenton
Change sig? Lose [quote]!

ebay. . .

AEM Cold Air Intake used - $77
DC Header used - $170
Helix - $15
NGK Iridium IX Plugs - $20
NGK Wires - $30

For about $300, I've almost completed the basic boltons. Trying to find a good used catback
Old 05-16-2004, 04:23 PM
Surfacing171
cb7 fanatic

Originally Posted by twixster
37000 miles, Automatic (unfortunately)
Is that a typo?? A 4th gen w/ that many miles is ****ing crazy!
Old 05-16-2004, 08:00 PM
twixster

This is no typo my aunt never had a need to drive that much, It is the typical old ladies car. Used to to from home to church and church to home on sunday. And even then if her husband was home they would take his car, so for my aunt this is not "****ing crazy"! It was just there if she needed it.

Quick Reply: Mods