Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Is this setup possible?

Old 08-06-2002, 09:03 PM
tokyoracer
got JDM milk???

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this setup possible?

ok... i'm a noob to engine tech.. so here is the question... making a block strong by crank? what does that mean and how is it done. then what does it mean when an engine is stroked? no pun intended.

my idea would be to us a B20 block and put a B18C1 head on it and using low compression pistons off of LS engine, then using type r cam. my question for that would be... would i still be able to use my regular civic shift linkage and wire harness or will i have to use a GSR shift linkage and GSR harness???

like i said... i'm a noob to engine tech... so please don't flame... the burrito i ate at Uno Mas for lunch is doing enough flaming already... haha
Old 08-07-2002, 09:19 AM
inspyral
のんびり~(´ε`)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm guessing the crank thing relates to running a stonger aftermarket crank, or a shotpeened stock one. Stroking is a process that increases an engine's displacement. You can do this by either increasing the bore(diameter) of the cylinders, or changing the stroke of the pistons(the distance they travel up and down).

For a B20 block and GSR head, you won't be able to use LS pistons because 1)they're a smaller bore(B20 bore is 84mm, LS and other B series is 81), and 2)they don't have the valve reliefs to accomodate VTEC valves, which means the valves will be tapping the tops of the pistons(bad). I believe you'll need a B series shift linkage, but you can keep your harness, and just redo the wiring.
Old 08-07-2002, 09:21 AM
tokyoracer
got JDM milk???

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by inspyral
I'm guessing the crank thing relates to running a stonger aftermarket crank, or a shotpeened stock one. Stroking is a process that increases an engine's displacement. You can do this by either increasing the bore(diameter) of the cylinders, or changing the stroke of the pistons(the distance they travel up and down).

For a B20 block and GSR head, you won't be able to use LS pistons because 1)they're a smaller bore(B20 bore is 84mm, LS and other B series is 81), and 2)they don't have the valve reliefs to accomodate VTEC valves, which means the valves will be tapping the tops of the pistons(bad). I believe you'll need a B series shift linkage, but you can keep your harness, and just redo the wiring.
thanks P... i think maybe i should just go with a B18C setup... then i'll boost it... :naughty: