Notices

I have a Crack in my Radiator, What should i do?

Old 05-13-2004, 02:21 AM
Coldsun
Rolling Senseless

Location: The Home of 911, the place of the Lost Towers, we still banging we never lost power! Rockland NY..
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a Crack in my Radiator, What should i do?

Yup, my car just took one hell of a ride from ATL back to NY....
When i reached NY, one of the guys at the toll booths told me my car was smoking... i had no idea, then managed to get the car home and proceeded to cry in a corner... (it was a long trip anyway)

Anyway I noticed there was a crack at the top of the radiator... looks like someone took a knife and cut about a inch and a half.... Sucks...
Well what should i do, i am planning on driving the car right up the street to this repair place, can i get this welded or something, or am i just gonna have to wait and i can order one from somewhere i guess, sigh, i'm broke....
so what ya'll think, how much should i expect to pay?

Also, i think i might have messed something up, the car sounds funny could i have warped the insides, will i need a new engine or some crap?
-Sun
Old 05-13-2004, 03:18 AM
lingerbw

Did you allow the car to over heat? Keep an eye on your head gasket. You may have blown it. (Look for a milky white film on your oil cap and/or a white, sweet smelling smoke out of your exhaust). If that happened, you need to (at least) have your head checked for warpage. The bottom end should be ok though.

*edit* Not sure if you can weld the radiator. I would replace it.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:12 AM
Coldsun
Rolling Senseless

Location: The Home of 911, the place of the Lost Towers, we still banging we never lost power! Rockland NY..

Yea man, I think that i might have blown a gasket, the car was definately over heating, way in the red, i dont see white stuff around the oil cap, but i do have the white sweet smoke coming from the exhaust, adn the engine just sounds kinda funny... <sigh> man people always come up to me talking to me about how cool my car is, if only they knew about these freaking headaches.....

Well, i guess i'ma try to get this work done.... so, should i even drive this thing to the honda dealer to get it fixed? how much is this gonna cost about, will i need a new engine?
I still gotta handle the radiator problem too.... but i guess i should know the above first.... if you are reading this and have any info... HELLLLP please
-Sun
Old 05-13-2004, 06:03 AM
accordvtec77

if you get the work done sooner than later, you won't need an engine. I just recently finished an engine job on a 98 Odyssey that was completely FUBAR because of customer negligence. Obviously you want to replace the cracked radiator, along with a head gasket. Though the cylinder head is relatively easy to remove, I don't recommend it if you're not mechanically inclined. But if you're up to it...a simple service manual should be enough.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:45 AM
randomtask77
Wanderer

It's a sign for you to get a Koyo or fluidyne radiator. :thumbup:
Old 05-13-2004, 01:47 PM
akord 97

well, all u need to do is get some liquid steel at walmart for $5. and patch it. Works fine with me. had a hairline crack on top. fixed for over a year now.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:17 PM
ODUB
Banned

get a new one?
Old 05-13-2004, 03:29 PM
phat99accord
BMW Tech

how long was it in the red for?
if you were driving highway w/o coolant it would be fine b/c of the air
but once u hit traffic it brings hell on the car.
if it wasnt in the red too long just fill up the radiator w/ coolant and water mixture and drive it over to the honda dealer. that would save you $$$ on a tow
Old 05-13-2004, 04:01 PM
SonY:)AccOrd
GOSU

Originally Posted by ODUB
get a new one?

:werd:
Old 05-14-2004, 03:37 PM
Mr Hyde
Accord Forum Moderator

Get a new one, but now that may be the least of your problems.

Never drive you car whilts its overheating like that, it'll blow the head gasket, and warp the deck. Thats real easy to do on an Aluminum head like ours. That guage is there for a reason, and this is it. A blown headgasket/warped head is gonna cost way more to fix than a busted radiator or a tow.

The TL-S / The 540i