Notices

sooo.. My Grandma is buying a S2k. (questions and my driving impression.)

Old 05-11-2004, 05:29 PM
FunctionMotoring
HAN Approved Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sooo.. My Grandma is buying a S2k. (questions and my driving impression.)

UPDATE: We picked up the S last night.. Ended up being 27k+100k warranty~28k. :thumbup:

I got a chance to drive it around some more last night. I think I might have to get one of these once the R is paid off :P :thumbup:

By the time we got out of the dealer (every salesmen there had to check out my R.) it was a little late, the pics are a wee bit dark Ill have more later today hopefully.

Grandmas new S :thumbup:

da R', my girls Lude, G'ma's S2k :thumbup:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, I just returned from the Honda dealership w/my Grandma and checked out a new 2003 S2k.

There asking price was 29k, but I told them they would need to come down to 27k in order for us to leave w/it. The sales manager was out, so he is giving us a call tommorow.

They had an 04 sitting in back, and they have to move the 03 in order to get more. I figured I would use this as leverage in order to get a better deal on the 03. Do you current owners think that is a pretty reasonalbe price?

And since it's my Grandmother, she's not really concerned about the larger displacement (she also thought the 04' wheels were ugly :P ) and revised front fascia.

The salesmen was very low pressure, and insisted we drive it. He was 6'5" so he actually had me pull it out of the showroom because he "wouldn't fit" :P .

(My driving impression, so you don't have to see another "have an ITR what's a S like thread. :P )

After driving the S, I am extremely impressed. Coming from a 2300lb ITR to this is refreshing. The S is much more comfy, corner holding is very much equal to my ITR. But the response is far superior.

Acceleration was deceiving, it was very linear, unlike my R. Vtec engagement was not as noticeable (I never wrapped it out, seeing as my Grandmother may be purchasing it.) I actually walked away feeling as if my ITR was faster, which was not expected, mind you I wasn't really pushing the S.

Brakes were great, but I believe my R w/Cobalt pads and ATE superblue has much better inital bite, which is to be expected.. Although the S hasn't really been broken in (it's been a showroom queen.)

Now...the rack(steering) :thumbup: :thumbup: I can't praise the rack enough, steering was borderline telepathic. No wonder the S makes such a great autox car. There is no point-and-go in this car.. it's more like point-and-there. :P This was by far the best attribute of the car. :thumbup:

Pedal postion was great, heel-toe was much more easier acclompished in the S than in my ITR. It was also easier to gain revs, the gas pedal is very light and responsive.

On the fwy the soft top was uber-quiet.. I expected all kinds of wind noise and leaks.. However it behaves just like a hard top.

Overall the S is a great great car. The S owners should be very very proud to own such a great automobile. It's not quite as raw as the R, but does everything in the same manner w/more comfort..

My final ? is most likely a fairly repetative one. Do you think the 04 is that much more improved? Have any of you driven both? From the brochure we were given it sounds as if the 04 had many more changes than just displacement, front fascia and wheels. I actually prefer the 03 and older look, but the extra displacement woldn't hurt.

Sorry for the long post guys.. any help is greatly appreciated.

TIA
Old 05-12-2004, 06:20 AM
nextgenholmes
Senior Member Wannabe

i dont think a s2000 is quite a grandmother's car. i wouldnt recommend one for my own. I would have her go drive a certified used porsche boxster or even a older model bmw z roadster. that is my two cents on that.

Now the real difference between the new 04 s2k and the 01-03 is not that big of a difference. i will admit that. i have noticed that the newer one is a little bit easier going not quite as harsh of a transmission (as harsh as a s2k tranny gets though) smoother transition from gears in the 04 will make it an easier daily driver (which mine has become with all this nice weather) the very small torque increase does "help" with the launch from a stoplight but its nothing that was monumental. I would say the 04 is nicer in ways but is much the same. There would be no loss with going with the older model but of course its really just up to you or i should say your grandmother.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:23 AM
qtiger

The 04 supposedly is a bit more daily driveable, more comfortable suspension, etc.

Might be worth it if they don't drop the price on the '03 too much.
Old 05-13-2004, 06:37 PM
NIXONride
surfer

you could lower that price for the '03 a lot more. I could walk into a dealership and get a '04 for that price.
Old 05-14-2004, 08:04 AM
nextgenholmes
Senior Member Wannabe

u should be able to pick up the 03 for about 24 easy. even though its probly a year or not even old the s2000 is starting to show a low resale value. atleast here in minnesota.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:36 AM
BonzoAPD

go for the 2003 if you can get them lower. I doubt you can get them down to 24. I have seen used 2001's for 22-23
Old 05-18-2004, 11:39 AM
FunctionMotoring
HAN Approved Vendor

The 03' is brand new, not used.. 24k seems very low, I wish we could have walked out @that price, but here in UT, that isn't going to happen..

New pics uptop.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:07 PM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, your grandma is
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 05-20-2004, 06:35 AM
nextgenholmes
Senior Member Wannabe

Originally Posted by MaxBoosT
Wow, your grandma is

or shes :loco:
jk
Old 05-20-2004, 04:45 PM
ISP James
DAMIMRED

i love s2ks but i was just having this discussion with my gf.... i think id rather take the R... cool nonetheless, i wish my grandparents would buy either