Notices

Suspension problems!!!

Old 05-10-2004, 06:27 AM
hondascc
nottajr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension problems!!!

I have AGX adjustables, H&R sport springs, 17" wheels, and a front camber kit. Lately it seems like my car just continually shakes once I get to 60 MPH. I have my front struts set on 2 and my rears on 4. Also when I hit a bump in the road the front suspension makes rattling noise like everything is like the spring is unseating, but that is impossible with my setup, I think. I think the rattling is independent of the shaking problem, but I need help. Is it possible that the shaking could just be that my tires need balancing. I have had the tires for about a year. I had them balanced when they were installed. I rotate them every 6000-9000 miles. I have had two different suspension setups during that time and two alignments, but no balancing.
Old 05-10-2004, 06:35 AM
Torque

I would have to say that you need to get the tires balance. Just wondering, could the rattling be bad tie rod ends??
Old 05-10-2004, 07:41 AM
mohamed_ibrah
Tech in Training

Originally Posted by Torque
I would have to say that you need to get the tires balance. Just wondering, could the rattling be bad tie rod ends??
Uh..well, if you are able to feel vibration in your steering wheel, then yes I would say it's a balancing problem.

But as far as your rattling noise, that's a different issue. Something, might be loose, what I would do is look at everything more closely, jack up all side and try to wiggle things around like Torque mentioned, your tie rods (nothing should wiggle), look at mounting points in the coilpack, make sure your spring is seated correctly, look at shocks, make sure no shocks are blown (by looking for oily residue around the shock housing, although if they are gas charged, then the simple bounce test might give you an idea, bounce a side of the car, while flat on a surface, it should only rebound, if you push down, and not bounce, or if does maybe no more than once). You said they where adjustables, can you check settings to make sure all sides are the correct settings? I haven't ever dealt with car shocks that are adjustable on a car (except electronic one's like on a 300ZX), only trucks, like Rancho's, but there might be a dial that you set the comfort level at, if not they might be the one's where you twist them somehow to obtain comfort level. These are all possibilities.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:03 AM
d21x
Ownz JOO

who installed your suspension??? make sure they're installed correctly. did u cut your bumpstops??? and i doubt bad alignment would cause all of those problems.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:08 AM
Intrepid241

Its probably a balancing problem
Old 05-10-2004, 02:46 PM
syclone

start with visuals first.. is your tires near balding, or even just the inner portion? are your tires overinflated? the two might have caused a small blister in your tire..

check all your lug nuts to make sure they're torqued correctly at 80 ft. lbs. i normally torque mine to 88..

if everything seems fine, try rebalancing your tires..

2 possible causes but usually rare are bad tie rod ends, or the need of hubcentric rings if you have aftermarket wheels..

as for the rattling, it's usually the swaybar endlinks have come loose, so check those first.. if that's not the cause, check all suspension bolts and nuts to make sure they're on tight.. also check to make sure the springs are seated properly on the top mount and shock perch..
Old 06-18-2004, 04:36 PM
allbutjdm

Originally Posted by Intrepid241
Its probably a balancing problem
can tire balancing issues cause rattling???
Old 06-18-2004, 07:46 PM
syclone

Originally Posted by allbutjdm
can tire balancing issues cause rattling???
not really rattling.. you'll feel some vibrations in your steering wheel..
Old 06-18-2004, 10:17 PM
SonY:)AccOrd
GOSU

look when I lowerd my car.. some one forgot to tighten the lug nuts on the wheels, so my rim and tire were hitting and it made a bump noise when my car was moving.. maybe somthing is loose check it out