Notices

6th Gen Accord 100k miles put in a new engine

Old 05-04-2004, 01:41 PM
malukalu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6th Gen Accord 100k miles put in a new engine

Whats up guys its been a long while since ive been on this board. Anyways i had my ride break down a little over a month ago. Broken crankshaft apparently and i was right past my 100k warranty so no help from honda. I had two options (1) tons of labor to fix it and still have no garuntee on an old engine or (2) replace it out right. I got a hole of an 01 engine real cheap (625 + shipping) with only 13.5k miles on it. Can anyone here tell me what the value of my car would be?
1999 lx coup
manual
black outside
black leather inside
100k miles on old engine 13/5 on the new engine (6 month warranty)
ive pretty much got her back to stock all the way around

blue book on it for private party is 9,600 say its in good shape and has only 13k miles on it . What would the value be given the fact that the engine has been replaced? How much less would a person pay?
Old 05-04-2004, 01:48 PM
SWOOSHER21
Fight Rice

it would be shady, but you have the option of not saying anything. value shouldnt go down very much as long as everything is in good working condition. having a new motor may influence some people to buy for the fact that there will be less worry about wear and tear. i couldnt tell you exact numbers though.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:49 PM
GenXer
Registered Honda user

If you've been keeping the regular maintenance up on your car, Honda might buy your engine. If you complain, they often go beyond the listed warranty miles. You have to be about it, don't go off on them. Tell them that you are not happy with the quality of your car, and that "Honda should help me out, since I've done everything I'm supposed to do." Yes, that actually works. However, if you were racing or didn't do the maintenances (especially oil changes) don't bother trying it. A good tech. can tell if you abused it.
Old 05-08-2004, 04:54 PM
Mr Hyde
Accord Forum Moderator

A new engine wouldnt really add anything in a private party sale, and I dont see it hurting anything either; especially if you could say that the engine was replaced by a reputable shop with a good motor, and a warranty. If the car is in great condition otherwise, I would list a price on the higher end of whats listed for your car by kbb, edmunds, etc.

The TL-S / The 540i
Old 05-08-2004, 05:06 PM
IamNemo
You know me...

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
A new engine wouldnt really add anything in a private party sale, and I dont see it hurting anything either; especially if you could say that the engine was replaced by a reputable shop with a good motor, and a warranty. If the car is in great condition otherwise, I would list a price on the higher end of whats listed for your car by kbb, edmunds, etc.
:werd: My 4th gen had a new engine dropped in it before I bought it. The place that did it was a pretty reputable place around here, so I knew they wouldn't screw anything up. As long as the car's in good shape, go by edmunds or kbb (I'm partial to edmunds personally).
Old 05-08-2004, 11:06 PM
Intrepid241

If I was looking for a car and the ad said "new engine" I might ask what the heck happened to make the first one go. I'd wonder if the car was driven particularly hard/ not taken care of...which would lead me to suspect other issues with the car. However, If the car was kept up...ie oil changes and the like, I'd feel more comfortable (manufactuer defect). Hope that makes sense.
Old 05-09-2004, 02:28 PM
93EXaccord
Engines hate me!

if the engine only has 13.5 miles i think it will help sell the car, becuase if the are understanding of the fact that shit happens then it will just be one less thing to worry about.