Notices

Camber Kit Differences?

Old 04-29-2004, 02:58 PM
JustOneMore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camber Kit Differences?

So the accord has some pretty bad negative camber in the front (-2.0) and I've decided that this needs to stop...I bought tires about 10k ago and the inner tire wear is getting noticeable. That and my ball joint is starting to act up (I hear clicks on some bumps).

I searched throughout the forum and it seems like people hail the Ingalls camber kit as one of the best. What I'm wondering is, there are different types of camber kits...There are the "pivot mounts" which go on the end of the U on the lower wishbone, and there are the "ball joint" type that go on the apex of the U of the wishbone. It seems like pivot mounts give more adjustability...

What i'm not sure is:
1) Which one is better? pivot mount vs. ball joint
2) Does the Ball Joint mount replace the actual "Ball joint"?

Lastly, which brand should I go for and how much is a decent price? I've seen them range from $80 to $160 per pair!

Some pictures I found of the 2 types of camber kits:

Pivot Mount (the yellow pieces on the 2 ends of wishbone):

Ball Joint Mount (the single black piece at apex of U):
Old 04-29-2004, 05:34 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

How far are you lowered?

The Accords even the 4cyls have alot of weight on the nose. I have perfect camber, as does my sister's stock V6EX. But we are both running plus size rims compared to stock and both cars eat up inner side of the front tires. The angle of the tire to the road when turning helps contribute.

You may or may not need a camber kit, if you are running low profile tires 45's or less, it may just be normal wear for you.

Have you been told the camber is out of adjustment in the front? You may just need new ball joints sans the kit.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:59 PM
IamNemo
You know me...

If you're dropped and your ball joints are going (soon to be my situation), go ahead and get ball-joint kits. They replace the upper control arm and ball joint and cost about the same price in the end. I've heard lots of good things about SPC.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:09 PM
Samson
chris is the devil

Originally Posted by IamNemo
If you're dropped and your ball joints are going (soon to be my situation), go ahead and get ball-joint kits. They replace the upper control arm and ball joint and cost about the same price in the end. I've heard lots of good things about SPC.
the spc kits, at least the one i got.. is just the ball joint... not the entire upper control arm.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:31 PM
JustOneMore

Thanks for the replies and input...

what is it like exactly when the ball joints are going? I hear some clanking sounds when I go over bigger bumps. Performance doesn't seem affected, just ascary clank going up the bump and another down the bump.

So the Ball Joint camber kits replace the actual ball joint? How much are the SPC's...or at least how much did you guys pay for them?
Old 04-30-2004, 07:48 AM
IamNemo
You know me...

Originally Posted by Samson
the spc kits, at least the one i got.. is just the ball joint... not the entire upper control arm.
The ones I've seen descriptions for said "Front Sliding Ball Joints, Rear EZ Arm XR With Sliding Ball Joints". So my bad! Guess you were right.

Originally Posted by JustOneMore

So the Ball Joint camber kits replace the actual ball joint? How much are the SPC's...or at least how much did you guys pay for them?
Haven't purchased my quite yet, but www.nopionline.com sells them for my 4th gen for either $280 or $320 depending on your drop. and yes they actually replace the ball joint.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:18 AM
Samson
chris is the devil

theres a groupbuy at gbc.... i got mine for $149 each. they range in price though.. mine weren't the extreme's