Notices

What does Salvage Title Theft Recovery really mean??

Old 04-12-2004, 05:15 PM
Johnny B
Snap, Crackle, Pop....

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does Salvage Title Theft Recovery really mean??

I have heard it means when the repairs are more than the cars worth so it is salvaged....Is this true?

But I just say a 2001 Integra Type R for sale with a salvage title "Theft Recovery".......

Some people even say Salvage title Theft Recovery and No accidents..??...Is that BS??
Old 04-12-2004, 05:25 PM
TTT

http://www.state.ma.us/rmv/titles/8define.htm
http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0%2C1607...23--%2C00.html
Old 04-12-2004, 06:04 PM
ReVenGe

well... my car is an insurance salvage. what hapened is that the car was "totaled" (dmg to car was more $ than vehicle worth) and then givin to the insurance company, who gave it to one of its workers, who then fixed them and auctions them off....

then only differnce to me was that it took longer to get it registered cause the pin had to be re-entered into the system or something

hence my weird license plate
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF0063.JPG (119.9 KB, 75 views)
Old 04-12-2004, 06:26 PM
honda_pilot
DeeCeeFo'

Parts of your info is correct. It is what happens when a vehicle's repairs are deemed too expensive to prove either profitable in the future, or the costs outweigh the vehicles current value. "Salvage Title" is a very generic naming to this status if you will, the specifics such as "Theft Recovery"; "Flood Damaged"; etc. tell another story.

So you see this Salvage Titled ITR is so because it was stolen and/or broken into, and the cost of replacing/fixing it was too much. A car becomes "reconstructed" after it passes a rigorous inspection at a certified mechanics garage. There is a lot of paperwork involved and hence it is often times a difficult procedure re-registering them. Lots of times cars like these are actually auctioned off or given to salvage yards. Which in turn try to sell these cars for ridiculously low amounts of money, enough to just make a profit, to people who want s newer or nicer car who would otherwise be unable to afford one. They buy the car, damaged as it may be and pay for parts and repair. Almost always this method is a much cheaper method to obtain an otherwise more expensive vehicle.

This ofcourse has obvious pros, but IMO the cons outweigh them. Resale on vehicles such as these is just about the greatest headache imaginable. If one were to try and sell the reconstructed car for a clean VIN price without disclosing the titles status it would be considered a con, and otherwise a reconstructed vehicle cannot sell for market value and most likely the only way to sell would be to lower the price so much you'd actually lose money on the entire ordeal.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:34 PM
Johnny B
Snap, Crackle, Pop....

I also heard that if the car was stolen and missing for over 30 days the owner would get paid out the cars value from the insurance company.

But if it is recovered after the 30 days it would be considered a salvage title from theft and the insurance company then auctions it off as salvage.

Is that true?
Old 04-12-2004, 07:22 PM
ls_101
integra fs

yes, but the car usually has to have stuff removed by the thief to be considered stolen, my friends car was stollen, thats what happened when my friends lude was stolen
Old 04-13-2004, 06:13 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

It means that Someone jacked your ryde, stole your shit, & beat the **** out of it by ralley racing it through the woods.. and when it's finally recovered.. the Insurance company goes. "holy crap, thats a car?"

(experienced.. my first car was jacked from my driveway in the middle of the night)
Old 04-13-2004, 06:41 AM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Being a Type R, I can guarantee you that it was stolen rather than wrecked. If it were an LS, I'd say it was wrecked.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:33 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

I seriously see as many ITR's for sale as a theft recovery car as I do a clean title car. Damn theives.

If it is a theft recovery, you better check under the hood to see if it still has a B18C5 in there. Some cheap people/places will rebuild them with B18C's, B16A's, even B18B's.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:53 PM
honda_pilot
DeeCeeFo'

Originally Posted by Kai
I seriously see as many ITR's for sale as a theft recovery car as I do a clean title car. Damn theives.

If it is a theft recovery, you better check under the hood to see if it still has a B18C5 in there. Some cheap people/places will rebuild them with B18C's, B16A's, even B18B's.
Good point

Quick Reply: What does Salvage Title Theft Recovery really mean??