Notices

What does Salvage Title Theft Recovery really mean??

Old 04-13-2004, 06:35 PM
Johnny B
Snap, Crackle, Pop....

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yah, I will go through the car thoroughly up and down......Underneath everything.

To see if the subframe or inner fenders show marks from being straightened from an accident. The engine code...Everything. I don't trust anyone.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:20 PM
Josh M

Depends a little bit on what state its coming from. I dunno how it is anymore but when I was 16 I wanted a sports car, but obviously at that age you don't have a lot of money so I got one with a Texas Salvage certificate. Texas had something like more than 25% of the vehicle worth it was junked. All I had to do was replace the hood, a fender, and a wheel, and get it aligned and it was fine...........If I had a choice of salvage titles I'd want a repo or one that just had stuff stolen from it. I'm actually looking for a car right now with a salvage title that has no engine and no interior so I can do that all how I want to do it
Old 04-13-2004, 10:49 PM
sxng9

I also heard that if the car was stolen and missing for over 30 days the owner would get paid out the cars value from the insurance company.

But if it is recovered after the 30 days it would be considered a salvage title from theft and the insurance company then auctions it off as salvage.

Is that true?
i was also wondering about this. i'm still making payments on my car i bought in January of 2003. what if, my ride was stolen, and then recovered within the 30 days with shit missing and it's considered salvage title; would i still get paid out of the cars' value??
Old 04-14-2004, 05:19 AM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Originally Posted by sxng9
i was also wondering about this. i'm still making payments on my car i bought in January of 2003. what if, my ride was stolen, and then recovered within the 30 days with shit missing and it's considered salvage title; would i still get paid out of the cars' value??
It depends on what you owe on it versus what its book value is. If the book value is less than you owe on it, and you don't have something called "gap insurance" then you'll get busted in the ass and wind up owing the difference. If your book value is more than you owe, then you're fine.

But the worst part is that your insurance premiums will go way up. It's not your fault if it gets stolen, and it's not your insurance company's fault, either. So unless they catch the fuggers red-handed, you will wind up paying for that car in the long run in insurance premium hikes. So in any case, you don't ever want your car stolen. The insurance company will consider you a risk from that day forward. It won't matter how clean your driving record ever is. The history of your car being stolen will be on your "CLU report" for the rest of your life, and any insurer will quote your policy accordingly, and it's completely legal for them to do so.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:42 AM
Solracer
NASA-VA Hyper-Announcer

The biggest thing about a salvage title is that the car will never be worth anything near its orginal value, even if it was all just cosmetic damage from a theft or wreck. Also some banks will not give out loans on salvage titled cars.