Notices
Drag Strip From the staging lanes to the finish line, this is the spot for on-track drag racing discussion.

beating an M3

Old 03-29-2004, 11:05 AM
customX4306

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default beating an M3

i recently purcased my 97 civic ex and i installed skunk 2 stage two cams, i plan next to install a turbonetics turbo. Would i be able to beat my friends bmw m3 or would i just be wasting my money, i need advice
Old 03-29-2004, 11:08 AM
honura
Seni

Thats kind of a stupid question. But depends on how far your gonna be racing.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:13 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You just installed a cam, but now you want a turbo? Those won't work very well together... a Skunk2 stage2 cam is made for N/A apps. You should set a plan or goal you'd like to meet and stick with it. You obviously haven't done this if you just put two opposing mods on your car...

The turbo will help, but you need some good tuning capabilities as well.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:14 AM
Jkan2001
S2000 Pilot

Possibly, if your turbonetics pos doesn't start leaking oil and die within the first 6 months. This happened to 2 of my friends which since then have gone precision SC61. Anyways it depends on how much boost, you are going to run what kind of tune you have etc etc.

I used to have a 00 ex civic coupe with the apexi kit and i could beat most E36 m3's on 8 psi. Then i upgraded to precision SC50 and it takes a lot of work to make it run right. I have since then taken a step up and i bought a 97 M3 sedan. Also what mods does the M3 have, they can run anywhere from high 13's-14.2 stock and with a few boltons mid to solid high 13's.

Just make sure he doesn't have an AA turbo kit or dinan SC or else you can keep on dreaming. The great thing is, no matter how much power you make he'll still ape rape you in the twisties and at the end of the day has the satisfaction that he drives a M3 that's what sold me on the car at least.

Also, modding your car just so you can beat your friends car is retarded. You should figure out what your goals/budget/plans are to do a FI setup not just say, hey i wanna spend all this time and money just to beat this guy. Remember, there is always gonna be someone that is faster than you no matter what you drive so make sure you're happy with the setup without considering other people.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:31 AM
Paulll
Hail Bent

Originally Posted by Jkan2001

Also, modding your car just so you can beat your friends car is retarded. You should figure out what your goals/budget/plans are to do a FI setup not just say, hey i wanna spend all this time and money just to beat this guy. Remember, there is always gonna be someone that is faster than you no matter what you drive so make sure you're happy with the setup without considering other people.

werd

way to copy dado,
Old 03-29-2004, 11:31 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jkan2001
Possibly, if your turbonetics pos doesn't start leaking oil and die within the first 6 months. This happened to 2 of my friends which since then have gone precision SC61. Anyways it depends on how much boost, you are going to run what kind of tune you have etc etc.

I used to have a 00 ex civic coupe with the apexi kit and i could beat most E36 m3's on 8 psi. Then i upgraded to precision SC50 and it takes a lot of work to make it run right. I have since then taken a step up and i bought a 97 M3 sedan. Also what mods does the M3 have, they can run anywhere from high 13's-14.2 stock and with a few boltons mid to solid high 13's.

Just make sure he doesn't have an AA turbo kit or dinan SC or else you can keep on dreaming. The great thing is, no matter how much power you make he'll still ape rape you in the twisties and at the end of the day has the satisfaction that he drives a M3 that's what sold me on the car at least.

Well said Jerky!
Old 03-29-2004, 11:53 AM
theguy386
I am tehguy... OH YEAH!!

Originally Posted by westcoaststyle
You just installed a cam, but now you want a turbo? Those won't work very well together... a Skunk2 stage2 cam is made for N/A apps.

Wow, you learn something new everyday
Old 03-29-2004, 11:55 AM
qtiger

With low compression pistons I think you might be able to dial the stage 2s to something manageable for the turbo.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:55 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Ok everyone I'm getting sick of moving "Can I beat my friend with XXX car" put it in the Drag racing forum.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:02 PM
Jkan2001
S2000 Pilot

Originally Posted by westcoaststyle
Well said Jerky!
Haha, i'm quickly becoming the official HAN 92+ turbo civic grouch.

Qtiger, the cams aren't really a question of compression rather the lift/duration aren't correct for a FI car.

Quick Reply: beating an M3