Notices

new to the type r need help

Old 12-11-2003, 09:56 AM
01blackr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am really tight for money after buying this. i had a 02 si before this and basically went really upside down on the trade in to get my 01 type r. however i really need to know how to get power out of it with mods going the cheapest route. i want exhaust to make it sound meaner but i know just an exhaust isn't going to do anything. may make my hpdrop with out a i/h but if you could help I would really appreciate it. also I was thinnking about buying some rsx rims for it where my type r rims have some scuffs. do you think this is a bad idea thank you once again

Phil
Old 12-11-2003, 10:08 AM
98cwitr
Where's the DC5R???

an R doesnt deserve 'the cheap route'. Either put parts on it that the car deserves or get your Si back. jm2c

My first mods
Injen SRI
5zigen Fireball (wish I bought a T1R)
JDM DC header (if you dont get a JDM, keep it stock)
SMSP cat (you SHOULD NOT modify the stock cat to fit a 2.5" collector, SMSP is 2.5")

Next on my mods wish list (besides TIRES!):
Apex-i VAFC2
Tanabe Sustec Pro/C IIs coilovers(best bang for the buck under $1000)
AEBS IM
inlinefour TB

If you got the money (balling) get a DRAG III turbo :wink:

my verdict: If you aint got the money, keep it stock
Old 12-11-2003, 02:30 PM
PY 01-0972

dont upgrade with cheap parts wait for money and do it right. as far as the rims go the rsx are allright but there is alot of factory choices that are out now or very soon. the tsx rims would look great on the R also the new s2K
17 inch rims are real nice. thats the 04 model. even the hfp kit for the 02 and up si has a nice 5 star 17 incher.
my 2 cents
Old 12-11-2003, 08:24 PM
JUN

yup, don't take the cheap route on your car. the end result will usually come out to be a downgrade instead of and up grade. get to know your R alittle more before you jump into doing things.
and as far as getting an exhaust just for it to sound meaner :lol: :lol: :lol: best thing to do is save up for a part you really want, and that will really work. people around here and HT will know. there's miles of archived tests on just about every product for the ITR. (with a big shortage of the JUN products i use) hehe

take your time! it's not a EF hatch
Old 12-11-2003, 09:56 PM
ITR97

yah i agree. either save up or just leave it stock.. even stock the power is pretty good.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:42 PM
otb2000itr

Originally Posted by 98cwitr
Apex-i VAFC2
AEBS IM
inlinefour TB

Um....first off your first set of mods was ok, but the second set leaves a lot to be desired I think. The suspension mod is fine, the VAFC is the cheap way out...but its ok. Lastly, the intake manifold is a pretty much worthless mod as your looking to not gain much flow over a stock R manifold...and the inlarged throttle body is absolutely worthless unless you are upgrading your cams. The money spent on those two mods would be better spent on underdrive pulleys by AEM and perhaps a s100 hondata system.

As far as the first persons post, the best two mods you could begin with are a JDM 4-1 header and a carsound race cat. Your stock type R exhaust is pretty comparable to a cheap aftermarket exhaust already. It has virtually no bottlenecks and is far superior to any other Integras exhaust stock. Lastly, dont put RSX rims on your car, the stock 15's will handle better, accelerate better, and save you money on tires. If youre worried about image, just have them re-powdercoated in bronze or something
Old 12-12-2003, 06:27 AM
98cwitr
Where's the DC5R???

Originally Posted by otb2000itr
[quote:db34986889="98cwitr"]
Apex-i VAFC2
AEBS IM
inlinefour TB

Um....first off your first set of mods was ok, but the second set leaves a lot to be desired I think. The suspension mod is fine, the VAFC is the cheap way out...but its ok. Lastly, the intake manifold is a pretty much worthless mod as your looking to not gain much flow over a stock R manifold...and the inlarged throttle body is absolutely worthless unless you are upgrading your cams. The money spent on those two mods would be better spent on underdrive pulleys by AEM and perhaps a s100 hondata system.

As far as the first persons post, the best two mods you could begin with are a JDM 4-1 header and a carsound race cat. Your stock type R exhaust is pretty comparable to a cheap aftermarket exhaust already. It has virtually no bottlenecks and is far superior to any other Integras exhaust stock. Lastly, dont put RSX rims on your car, the stock 15's will handle better, accelerate better, and save you money on tires. If youre worried about image, just have them re-powdercoated in bronze or something [/quote:db34986889] The AEBS actually put a 5whp on a ITR untuned and on a stock motor (proof: http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=695304 and http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=631044 and http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=617029) I have more threads if needed. And an IM isnt as good unless port matched with the TB, which the 70mm is 2mm over the matched amount. Than you for reading!
Old 12-12-2003, 07:42 AM
01blackr

i want to thank all of you for your replies. so jdm header it is and a underdrive pulley. lets start saving. oh another question, what is the best way to keep my R in my hands. seeing that I don't have a garage. and to pay for a garage would be 130 a month. i checked every where. i am sure your guys know what the theifts know how to bypass and what they don't. any help would be thankful.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:52 AM
98cwitr
Where's the DC5R???

a good alarm (high DBs) and a tracking device, jm2c
Old 12-12-2003, 08:02 AM
01blackr

ok i am a little new to this what is a jm2c. and how much for it. by the way when should i shift in my R when normal day to day driving