Notices

Apexi VAFC

Old 10-19-2003, 07:30 PM
RGoose18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do I go about tuning my stock R w/ a VAFC?? Is it something I do myself, do I need use of a dyno? Any suggestions are appreciated in advance. thanks
Old 10-20-2003, 11:16 AM
Erik B

Type R came highley tuned if not maxed out from the factory. Hundred of thousands of hours were put into the well built and tuned motor you see in TypeR's. No need for a VAFC if your not bring in more fuel or air....just my 2 cents. :?
Old 10-20-2003, 02:53 PM
captainzorg

I agree with Eric...
Old 10-20-2003, 04:37 PM
Dave-ROR

Originally Posted by Erik B
Type R came highley tuned if not maxed out from the factory. Hundred of thousands of hours were put into the well built and tuned motor you see in TypeR's. No need for a VAFC if your not bring in more fuel or air....just my 2 cents. :?
Actually Eric, the P73 ECU runs rich as shit and is, imo, not anywhere near tuned. You can make some decent gains for the money with a VAFC on a stock car. Nothing ground shattering obviously, and not the most peak for $300 compared to say a JDM DC-Sports 4-1 header and testpipe.. but still.

To answer Rgoose's question, each motor is different, tune it on a dyno with a wideband a/f meter.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:41 AM
Trey

Dave is very corect here. The Type-R ECU is very rich from the factory and by using a VAFC to lean it out (ON A DYNO WITH A WIDEBAND) you can see some noticable gains. These gains will change and the car will need to be retuned afetr every new part is added so it might be worth delaying a VAFC but it is still a valid modification to a stock car.
Old 10-22-2003, 04:39 AM
Willard

sorry to cross post... :P
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=511707

The 'removal of fuel' (you don't remove it you just trick the ECU into adding less) from ~6,500 to redline made more power with my car.

Look at the a/f readings (green line) and watch what it does in stock form. :x