Notices

Explanation for ignorance to street racing?

Old 10-14-2003, 03:56 PM
1.8turbonium

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to know why you are not permitted to discuss street racing/ stoplight racing? Just because people talk about it does not mean the site supports it. www.sportcompactracing.com does not in any way support or encourage street racing however it is discussed all the time. It is like having a drug website and not being able to discuss weed! Sure it's illegal but everyone does it or tries it. Who has NEVER raced at a stoplight, honestly? Now I will say weaving in and out of traffic is the stupidest thing ever however a nice clean race at a light is a blast. This is where we get to have the most fun with our cars. Not all of us are blessed to be able to partake in autocross etc. Sure there is the drag strip but everyone knows import FWD cars are not drag cars. I am not trying to piss anyone off I am just stating my opinion here that you should allow some discussion on this topic. I think you would get alot more traffic on the site if you did.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:00 PM
Dave-ROR

Originally Posted by 1.8turbonium
I would like to know why you are not permitted to discuss street racing/ stoplight racing? Just because people talk about it does not mean the site supports it. www.sportcompactracing.com does not in any way support or encourage street racing however it is discussed all the time. It is like having a drug website and not being able to discuss weed! Sure it's illegal but everyone does it or tries it. Who has NEVER raced at a stoplight, honestly? Now I will say weaving in and out of traffic is the stupidest thing ever however a nice clean race at a light is a blast. This is where we get to have the most fun with our cars. Not all of us are blessed to be able to partake in autocross etc. Sure there is the drag strip but everyone knows import FWD cars are not drag cars. I am not trying to piss anyone off I am just stating my opinion here that you should allow some discussion on this topic. I think you would get alot more traffic on the site if you did.
We don't allow it because there is no reason to allow it. Tell me, what does it add to the site? Some traffic? If it's about street racing I'd rather take the site down. No offense, but those topics are IMO worthless. Also, allowing the discussion of street racing is, in my opinion, supporting it. Maybe not by saying "Go street race" but it's still supporting it. Almost everywhere has autocrosses, drag strips, etc. Race safely and responsibly. Illegal street racing is irresponible and has the potential for disasterous consequences. So does legal racing, but when an accident happens then at least the victim is a WILLING participant.

If you guys want to talk about street racing, do so elsewhere. The added traffic a kills forum, etc would generate is 100% not worth it to me.

And yes, I have done street light "races" before. I admit that I was acting like an immature child when doing so however and simply don't feel the need to waste my gas anymore. I also live on one of the main street racing roads in this area and get to see such morons every single week. Think I enjoy being bothered by street racing tools? Think I enjoy the extra police attention when I'm driving home saturday nights because of said tools? The cops leave me alone usually though, once they notice that I'm driving like an adult, not a child.

All my opinion of course. I'll leave this thread open for a bit so others can express their opinions. Might be locked/deleted by someone else though.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:09 PM
George Knighton

It is like having a drug website and not being able to discuss weed!
Now, that's a good example to get us on your side. :?

[quote:e0f7b4b394]Sure it's illegal but everyone does it or tries it. [/quote:e0f7b4b394]

Problem with the premise. Everyone most certainly has not tried it.

Moreover, no matter what number of people have tried it or participate in it, the board's participation in discussions about it would adversely affect the board's image with Honda and Acura, and with the ITR membership as a whole, which membership are a little more mature and discerning than the average young sports car owner.

There is no logical stance for a membership board to take except to say that it is most definitely stupid, and will not be tolerated here.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:43 PM
1.8turbonium

I am not here to bust your bubble or anything and I am no 17 yr old "young sports car owner" either. I don't condone street racing either but to totally ignore it I think is silly. Sure you may be adults who are very conservative drivers (I don't see the point of owning a high reving integra to only drive conservatively) however I am sure the vast majority of ITR owners are pretty young (not necessarily immature!). It is very possible to fully enjoy your car within the limits of the law. I think you confuse "street racing" with images of the fast and the furious. A freindly race at a light and driving like a maniac through traffic are not the same thing. I was merely referring to stoplight races which you said even you try once in awhile. Stoplight races don't even break the law unless you ride it out too long. I just think you seem awfully close minded about this. I do not know who created the rules of the site but I think they should look into the opinions of everyone else too. Take a pole, see what percent of people have tried stoplight racing. I'll bet its pretty darn close to 100%. People don't buy ITRs and never engage that VTEC!. I am not telling anyone how to run this site. I just like to learn about other cars and to talk about them.

Is this site for a few moderators or for everyone with an ITR? I'd like to hear some others chime in and see how the ITRCA community feels about it. Everyone should have an opinion on this.
Old 10-15-2003, 02:53 AM
Jan Niemi

The ITR is most definitely a car that is designed to be driven and driven hard. Do that and do it often, but do it within the bounds of the law. ITRCA is a site for performance enthusiasts....be enthused. If you want to be the winner of a race, go to the strip, anyone serious about racing will be there. I've learned more about my car in the few outings I have had at the strip than the years I've spent driving on the street, just think of the powerband of your ITR, imagine driving full throttle in 3rd and 4th gear at speeds of over 100mph, if you do that on the street, you should be put away - for risking innocent lives. Anotherwords if you want to really push the envelope on an ITR you have to have either a roadcourse or a dragstrip to do that, if you think you can get the same experience on the street your'e kidding yourself.

I was young and dumb once and I've streetraced, but I've found that there is never a winner because there are no rules....so what's the point? :cry:
Old 10-15-2003, 04:12 AM
Trey

I don't condone street racing either but to totally ignore it I think is silly.
Sure you do, read above. We are NOT ignoring it here, we are denouncing it. Don't leave this idea confused. Street Racing when it can be done in safe, controlled environments is dumb and irresponsible ALL the time.

[quote:e96351ff2f]Sure you may be adults who are very conservative drivers (I don't see the point of owning a high reving integra to only drive conservatively) however I am sure the vast majority of ITR owners are pretty young (not necessarily immature!).[/quote:e96351ff2f]

No one said you had to drive conservatively. We do say you are not to discuss openly breaking the law. I will address this below

[quote:e96351ff2f]It is very possible to fully enjoy your car within the limits of the law.[/quote:e96351ff2f]

You are so right here and what you seem to overlook is it is fully possible to enjoy your car without drag racing it on the street. Fully enjoying the car does not equal street racing.

[quote:e96351ff2f] I think you confuse "street racing" with images of the fast and the furious. A freindly race at a light and driving like a maniac through traffic are not the same thing.[/quote:e96351ff2f]

No I tjhink you are confused. Street racing is street racing regardless of how you try to sugar coat it so you can justify it to your conscience.

[quote:e96351ff2f]I was merely referring to stoplight races which you said even you try once in awhile. Stoplight races don't even break the law unless you ride it out too long.[/quote:e96351ff2f]

Wrong! Jack rabbit starts without racing break the law. Now check into spirited accelleration when 2 cars are side by side. That is by the law seen as drag racing and will get you a reckless driving ticket faster than any other driving habit I know.

[quote:e96351ff2f]I just think you seem awfully close minded about this. I do not know who created the rules of the site but I think they should look into the opinions of everyone else too.[/quote:e96351ff2f]

We as a whole decided these rules were to the benefit of the club and the website. We are not here to serve the 4-5 members who want to talk about street racing. There are thousands of car websites you can discuss street racing on this just isn't one of them.

If preventing you and others from endangering others by encouraging others to street race then sign me up for the closed minded club!

[quote:e96351ff2f]Take a pole, see what percent of people have tried stoplight racing. I'll bet its pretty darn close to 100%. [/quote:e96351ff2f]

And this makes it OK? Just because your freinds jump off a bridge would you (I am sure you have heard this before)

[quote:e96351ff2f] People don't buy ITRs and never engage that VTEC!.[/quote:e96351ff2f]

You are right and we quite often hit VTEC on the street without it breaking the law and even more so at the local drag strip or roadcourse without breaking the law. There is no, and I am sorry we have to break this to you, way to avoid street racing and not break the law. If you don't believe us go poll some police.

[quote:e96351ff2f]I am not telling anyone how to run this site.[/quote:e96351ff2f]

You are right, you aren't

[quote:e96351ff2f]Is this site for a few moderators or for everyone with an ITR? I'd like to hear some others chime in and see how the ITRCA community feels about it. Everyone should have an opinion on this.[/quote:e96351ff2f]

This site is for the integra Type-R Owners of America. What number is YOUR Type-R? You are welcome here but don't be so concieted to think we will change our policy over one member much less one guest.

We have made rules that we see as best representing the ITRCA community and in the bigger picture presenting ourselves as law abiding, mature people is much more important than what a few kids or adults with poor judgement want to talk about on an internet board.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:13 AM
George Knighton

...to totally ignore it I think is silly.
We don't ignore it. We unreservedly condemn it and blame it for needless suffering, useless death, and millions of dollars in destroyed property and torte action.

[quote:42cfa5f584]...I am sure the vast majority of ITR owners are pretty young (not necessarily immature!). It is very possible to fully enjoy your car within the limits of the law. [/quote:42cfa5f584]

And we're here to promote that and teach about that.

[quote:42cfa5f584] I think you confuse "street racing" with images of the fast and the furious. [/quote:42cfa5f584]

You're the one who's confused. You seem to think there's a chance in hell that anyone is going to support an illegal activity that costs countless innocent, young lives every year.

[quote:42cfa5f584] Stoplight races don't even break the law...[/quote:42cfa5f584]

Please tell me where you live so I can be sure never to visit. A contest of speed is most certainly illegal in every state of the Union.

[quote:42cfa5f584]I just think you seem awfully close minded about this. [/quote:42cfa5f584]

I surely am.

[quote:42cfa5f584]Is this site for a few moderators or for everyone with an ITR? [/quote:42cfa5f584]

It's for everyone who legally owns an ITR and egages in all lawful activities.

"Street racers" don't have nearly the knowledge that they think they have, and they're a danger to themselves and everyone around them, together with any private property that might be around them.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:46 AM
BudMan

Originally Posted by George Knighton
It's for everyone who legally owns an ITR and egages in all lawful activities.

"Street racers" don't have nearly the knowledge that they think they have, and they're a danger to themselves and everyone around them, together with any private property that might be around them.
WERD - Let's face it. Even if 'everybody' had done it...doesn't mean that we have to participate. As a community we have taken a stand against something that we do not believe in. ESPECIALLY when considering that we PROMOTE official drag racing, road-course racing, and ralley racing.

The 'end-goal' is to help others who may be tempted to street race to actually realize that you can learn much more, be much faster, and actually learn to drive properly through official means. Street racing just isn't needed.

that's my .02 & I'm off to work....oh yea, I almost forgot...1.8turboniums are really slow :P
Old 10-15-2003, 04:55 AM
Dave-ROR

I am not here to bust your bubble or anything and I am no 17 yr old "young sports car owner" either.
Uhmm who said you were 17? Age has NOTHING to do with maturity.

[quote:3c3bb20f49]I don't condone street racing either but to totally ignore it I think is silly.[/quote:3c3bb20f49]

Restating the obvious.. we don't allow it to be discussed on this site, how is that ignoring it? Ignoring it would be allowing it to be posted and not caring wouldn't it?

[quote:3c3bb20f49]Sure you may be adults who are very conservative drivers (I don't see the point of owning a high reving integra to only drive conservatively) however I am sure the vast majority of ITR owners are pretty young (not necessarily immature!).[/quote:3c3bb20f49]

Very conservative ? I'm not sure I'd say that. I am somewhat responsible when driving though and don't engage in completely pointless contests of speed. Shit, why not just row down the window and tell the guy my dick is bigger than his instead. Same exact action and a bit more safe for others. If you have a fast car, prove it, IN A LEGAL ENVIRONMENT.

[quote:3c3bb20f49]It is very possible to fully enjoy your car within the limits of the law.[/quote:3c3bb20f49]

I agree 100%. That's such a blanket statement though. Push your car on the streets and it WILL catch up to you. (it has for me and most others I know anyways)

[quote:3c3bb20f49]I think you confuse "street racing" with images of the fast and the furious.[/quote:3c3bb20f49]

You're a dumbass. I was in the "street racing" scene long before that movie came out and left it long before that movie came out. Know who you are talking to before you spout out dipshit statements like that.

[quote:3c3bb20f49]A freindly race at a light and driving like a maniac through traffic are not the same thing.[/quote:3c3bb20f49]

Neither are DUI and and driving like a maniac through traffic, so does that make DUI ok? Didn't think so..

[quote:3c3bb20f49]I was merely referring to stoplight races which you said even you try once in awhile.[/quote:3c3bb20f49]

Yes, I have. And I also admit I was being an immature tool at the time. I've hit top of 5th gear on the street, and yes, I freely admit that I WAS AN IDIOT.

[quote:3c3bb20f49]Stoplight races don't even break the law unless you ride it out too long.[/quote:3c3bb20f49]

LOL dude you seriously need to research the law a bit more. It immediately breaks two laws. 1. Exhibition of speed and 2. "Drag Racing" / Illegal Contest of Speed. In florida, that equals a 1 year license suspension, possible jail time, possibility of your car being impounded (and sold at auction if it's in your name) and a $500 fine. For the first offense, the consequences are stiffer for multiple offenses. That's a newish law here in Florida and damn am I happy it was passed. I see less idiots every weekend now. THANK YOU FLORIDA LAWMAKERS!

[quote:3c3bb20f49]I just think you seem awfully close minded about this.[/quote:3c3bb20f49]

Do I? Well aint that a bitch.

[quote:3c3bb20f49]I do not know who created the rules of the site but I think they should look into the opinions of everyone else too.[/quote:3c3bb20f49]

Once "they" start paying the bills and for our time, I'll be more than happy to. This site is PRIVATE. Membership is not a right. If you want to be a member then you live by the rules set forth by the owners of the site. Don't like it? there's that address bar up there, just type in a different URL.

[quote:3c3bb20f49]Take a pole, see what percent of people have tried stoplight racing.[/quote:3c3bb20f49]

oh geez, don't you get it? I've admitted to doing so, but that doesn't change the rule here. We do NOT allow discussion of street racing activities. It really doesn't matter who has or has not street raced before.

[quote:3c3bb20f49]People don't buy ITRs and never engage that VTEC!.[/quote:3c3bb20f49]

Uhmm I'd agree. But what does that have to do with street racing? I've spent 45 minutes at a time mostly in vtec.. on a road course.

[quote:3c3bb20f49]I am not telling anyone how to run this site.[/quote:3c3bb20f49]

Really? hmm.

[quote:3c3bb20f49]I just like to learn about other cars and to talk about them.[/quote:3c3bb20f49]

That's partially why this site is here. However, why does learning about a car have to involve street racing? That's just retarded.

[quote:3c3bb20f49]Is this site for a few moderators or for everyone with an ITR? I'd like to hear some others chime in and see how the ITRCA community feels about it. Everyone should have an opinion on this.[/quote:3c3bb20f49]

I left this thread open so others could chime in. Look at honda tech and you'll find the same rules there. Then look at the number of posts in the ITR forum and compare it to the rest. I think that'll answer your question on how ITR owners feel the need to discuss street racing.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:00 AM
TypeR 801

Regardless of your opinion, the majority of the members of the ITRCA don't approve of and don't wish to allow discussions of street racing on our forums. Period, end of story. If you object to that or still wish to talk about street racing, I'll make it very simple for you....GO SOMEWHERE ELSE to talk about it!

I am not here to bust your bubble or anything and I am no 17 yr old "young sports car owner" either. I don't condone street racing either but to totally ignore it I think is silly. Sure you may be adults who are very conservative drivers (I don't see the point of owning a high reving integra to only drive conservatively) however I am sure the vast majority of ITR owners are pretty young (not necessarily immature!). It is very possible to fully enjoy your car within the limits of the law. I think you confuse "street racing" with images of the fast and the furious. A freindly race at a light and driving like a maniac through traffic are not the same thing. I was merely referring to stoplight races which you said even you try once in awhile. Stoplight races don't even break the law unless you ride it out too long. I just think you seem awfully close minded about this. I do not know who created the rules of the site but I think they should look into the opinions of everyone else too. Take a pole, see what percent of people have tried stoplight racing. I'll bet its pretty darn close to 100%. People don't buy ITRs and never engage that VTEC!. I am not telling anyone how to run this site. I just like to learn about other cars and to talk about them.

Is this site for a few moderators or for everyone with an ITR? I'd like to hear some others chime in and see how the ITRCA community feels about it. Everyone should have an opinion on this.