Notices

Some questions for the knowledgable

Old 10-11-2003, 02:10 PM
HyperS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I've got some question that've been eating me up and I need them answered.

I'm looking at getting an integra type r in a few months but there are some things I want to clear up before I actually make the decision. I live in new zealand, so just bare that in mind if you want to quote any foreign shops or products that I can't get my hands on.

1) First and foremost, how important is the transmission and drive shaft (dynamic?) damper and why does the type R not have any? I've heard the car itself is a rough ride but maybe partially due to this reason. If so, how easy/expensive would it be to have some dampers installed?

2) 6 speed gearbox. I'm fixated with these. Either because I currently own a 5000 RPM at 90kmh 1.5L civic right now, which makes be fixated with being able to gain high speed with low revs, or I like the idea that I can travel at around 250kmh while running away from the police. Either way, I REALLY WANT ONE. I've also heard that 5th gear is kind of short on the type R and semi-long highway journeys can be a nightmare. Does anyone know which model the switch was made from 5 speed to 6? 99, 00, 01. There's a big difference in price and if it's too much, how much would I reasonably be looking to pay to get one installed on a 5 speeder?

3) Price. What price ranges (second hand of course), and I looking at? I can get a shady sort of view out of the local auto trader but it's nothing definitive.

4) Forced induction. Yay/nay? superchargers are great for these cars because it doesn't screw around with the precision-tuned intake manifold and exhaust system, plus it adds to the torq at lower revs which is exactly what the car needs. Also give me an idea about NOS. I'm fixated with the stuff but is it really worth it?

5) Controllers. I've heard about a Hondata controller that can let me modify vtec engage and rev limiter. Price? Worth it?

6) Lastly the sound insulation. These cars come with none. How easy would it be to have some fitted with relatively low added weight? A lot of people have commented it can be a noisy ride and this isn't just gonna be a weekend car, it'll be my daily plod-mobile too so a little noise insulation could go a long way. Easy to do?

Thanks, I think that's it. Any and all answers will let me sleep that little bit better at night.
Old 10-11-2003, 02:34 PM
Dave-ROR

While I could go through that post and answer your questions, I find it to be a waste of time.

From your post, it does not sound like the Integra Type-R is the car you think it is and does not seem to fit what you want at all. IMO get something that suits your needs better.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:03 PM
5-Lug

The car you're looking for is called an RSX. =P
Old 10-11-2003, 07:29 PM
swtxaznrac3r

[quote:c560082e44]The car you're looking for is called an RSX. =P[/quote:c560082e44]

I second that. The R is not for you. Sorry buddy
Old 10-11-2003, 08:24 PM
HyperS

No, you've got me all wrong. I love driving, especially hondas. And I'm not looking for a sunday-driving car with a 'little extra power'. I love what the type r is about and how it was engineered. I just have to be a little responsible before my brain runs away on me and consider what it'll be like commuting to work and to and from uni. First and foremost: the speed combined with fuel economy and reliability. Second (but in very close second), 'tollerable' commute driving.
Old 10-11-2003, 08:42 PM
RGoose18

The RSX Type-S has your name written all over it..................the last thing a type R is gonna do is pamper you
Old 10-11-2003, 09:12 PM
HyperS

Yea, the big problem being acura is named 'honda' here in new zealand, and 'honda' doesn't manufacture 'RSX's' over here, let alone ship them in. At least I don't think so.

I probably would get one otherwise =P. Closest thing here is an integra SiR but that's nothing compared to the R (20 kw less, with NONE of the body/interior mods). Maybe more comfortable but no fun.
Old 10-11-2003, 11:03 PM
PY 01-0972

I (being a owner for 12 hours) have to fully agree with the others if you could get a rsx type s you would be very happy. I had a 00 si and I also
have a 03 si and after just 35 miles that I have driven on my R its all about one thing and one thing only performance. period. it almost seems
that the car has alot of miles on it and is abused in a sense. but as you said before there is little if any sound deadining in this car. I was gonna
ask everybody here if tranny noise and clucth engaugment was noticable
on there cars due to the lack of any sound deadining? anyway if you want
full out performance its the best honda can offer for the price. if you want
to go through all the work to put a sixth gear in it and sound deadining
the rsx,if available,would suit you nicely.
Old 10-12-2003, 01:02 PM
RGoose18

Don't buy an R if you have to sit back and weigh out the pro's and con's. Yes, the ride will be bumpy, and it's slightly louder than your average lincoln continental, but it's designed for racing. The sound deadening was taken out to reduce the weight of the car, not to annoy the consumer. Also, if honda thought it needed a 6th gear, it would have it. If you're more concerned about how it will affect your ride to and from work, it's not for you. If you're concerned about feeling 0 body roll on a 90 degree turn, or if the sound of 8500 rpm's is like music to your ears, get it.........
Old 10-12-2003, 11:12 PM
HyperS

Yea, all of the above... I know it's not going to be a sunday driver, I just want to know if I can 'tolerate' it while driving... on sunday =].