Notices

So I'm looking to buy a Type-R. Any advice?

Old 07-26-2003, 02:50 AM
Reyngel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over the past two years, I've gone back and forth with trying to decide if I want to opt for a brand new car, like a RSX Type-S, or pursue a 2001 Type-R. I think I've finally decided that while the RSX is a more refined model, you just can't beat the classic personality of a Type-R.

So, what advice can you guys give me? I've done some research on used Type-R's, so I'm relatively informed. I'd like to get a 2001 NBP, with obviously as few miles as possible. Price isn't necessarilly a factor, just so long as it's under $30k. I'd also like to make sure that the car is completely stock. I don't plan to ever mod the car, other than possibly installing Mugen pedals, and maybe a good amp. I'd like to keep it as true to the original Honda vision as possible. After doing some research, I've found that there are a decent number of 2001 ITR's with about 25k miles. How possible would it be for me to find one that's between 15k and 20k? Do you guys know of any websites, or phonenumbers, etc, of specialty shops or tuning garages that can help me to find one with low miles?

I think I'd most definitely get a complete paint makeover, just to give it that brand-new look. Conditioning is very important to me, both for the exterior as well as the interior. I don't mind if there are blemishes that can be corrected by an extensive detailing, but if there are things that go beyond that, I think I'll pass.

So, where do I go from here? Is it better to look at private sellers, or go through the Acura Certified Pre-Owned thing? There are a few dealerships around the country who have some ITR's in stock. Would that be better, despite the higer prices?

Any help is much appreciated!
Old 07-26-2003, 08:07 PM
evilremy

here's some advice coming from a guy in the type r market for over a year and is still in it.
I'd say definitely buy an ITR from a private seller because it's just that much cheaper and less of a hassle. However when buying from a private seller there's the question of honesty and the condition of the car.
Once you've found a car, Run a VIN check at carfax.com which iwll only cost you 15 bucks and take the car to an Acura Dealership for a 128 point inspection which takes less than an hour and only costs a 100 bucks.
Here are a few of the best deals i've found that have slipped my hands because type r owners are... unpredictable.
00 NPB ITR $16500 40k miles
00 PY ITR $17000 40k miles
00 NBP ITR $18000 23500 miles (best deal i found)
I also found some others i can't remember now which are sold by now.
ITRs MSRP price is 24,500 so please don't pay too much for a 2 year old car.
At the momment i'm trying to close a deal for an ITR 00 NPB 20,000 miles. he said $18,500 and now he's asking for 19,000... and he isn't even sure if he wants to sell his car.. like i said.. unpredictable; which is just dealying me cause i need a car before i move. So bro... don't let people take a shit on you. If you see a deal move on it. Cars come and go fast...
Also, don't worry about mileage too much, Hondas only break if you break them. You're right about stock cars though.
www.autotrader.com is a good place to look for cars. also cars.com
best of luck. drop anymore questions or concerns you have in this thread. peace
Old 07-26-2003, 08:27 PM
Reyngel

Hey man, thanks for the advice. For the Acura 128 point inspection, how good is it? And damn, a 20k for $19k... sonuds like a great deal. Good luck! I hope I can be so lucky...
Old 07-27-2003, 06:13 PM
evilremy

the 128 point inspection really varies from dealer to dealer, when i went to a Mitsu dealer to check out a 3000GT they were very good and had lots of comments but when i went to an Acura Dealership to check out the ITR they just had checks for good, fair or bad. no comments at all. but 128 pt inspection is a must.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:43 AM
Axel

I just saw a 2001 ITR at my local dealer selling FOR 2001 MSRP!!! :shock:

After seeing that, I have a greater appreciation for my car's value. My garage-kept 2000 has less than 10K miles and used only for autocrossing and short trips. I can only hope the values remain high.

I have to agree on the private seller advice...dealers will mark up significantly.

Good luck.